AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 27A42 SDTV that has component inputs. I am planning on getting a Radeon 9500 Pro really soon and then add the Component dongle.

I was wondering if this output is supported by my TV. The dongle doesn't seem to transcode the signal at all, it just converts it to the 3 RCA plugs.

With my TV being non-HDTV, I need to know if DVD and game playback will work through the component dongle to my component in of my TV.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
For TV usage, I think the 9500 Pro is way overkill. It might support high frame rates, but you will never see it on a TV. An 8500DV or AIW may be a better choice if you want to use the ATI Dongle (I have no experience with them).

Not sure on your TV but there are some manufactures that "Claim" 600 lines of resolution, but I think the most that anyone gets that is usable is 480. Chances are your component inputs are meant for 480i only (DVD player - non-progressive).

Also the following may be a warning if you plan on using the component inputs and the built-in Tuner or composite inputs...

"The allure of this type of connection is that it can provide the best picture quality- -better even than S-Video. The downside is that getting the best picture requires calibration specific to the Component Video input, and the ideal settings for the Component input will likely be very different for the other inputs. In other words, what looks great through the Component input will almost certainly look bad when watching TV or using your VCR. "

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the 9500 pro will be a gaming card as well. Plus an 8500DV is more expenisve than the 9500 pro. Right now I'd say the 9500 Pro or non-pro is the best value you can get in an ATi Product. I think I'll be ok with the dongle because it does support 480i output (amongst many others). My tv is not a progressive scan and only is 480i anyway.

btw, it does support 600 lines of resolution.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Opps, my bad. I guess you don't need the tuner. So the 8500 would be the equiv. I still say the 9500 is overkill for 480i. BTW 600 isn't that big of a deal since SD is really 525 lines, you just can't see all of them since some are used for sync or closed captions, etc.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jkaiser
For TV usage, I think the 9500 Pro is way overkill. It might support high frame rates, but you will never see it on a TV. An 8500DV or AIW may be a better choice if you want to use the ATI Dongle (I have no experience with them).

I read that the 9500 and 9700 no longer use the overlay. I think that is part of DX9. I also read where they have hardware that will clean up video that doesn't look so well. I haven't seen it yet but wouldn't that be an important feature?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For games though the R200 core (8500) is lesser than a Ti4200 Nvidia card. This is where I want the 9500, nice video graphics and then a nice component out. Buying a 8500 is kinda dumb if I am actually upgrading to now. An 8500 would not be too much less than what the 9500 is now and the 9500 is WAY ahead of the 8500.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Do what you want... I have no issue with the 9500/9700, just that you probably will not get much better video for gaming than an set top game system (PS2/Game Cube) on a fuzzy 480i display.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess the biggest thing is it all comes down to price doesn't it.

Radeon 9500 Pro=$160US

XBOX = $200US

PS2 = $200

Gamecube = $150US

all set top systems add games for many dollars. PC Games are much "cheaper"

Plus to play a DVD on these systems, add some for DVD remote adapter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.