AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony KV40XBR800 and use the component output from my Pace 550hd STB. The STB allows setting the format from the component output. My question is simple: How does the TV recognize which format is being used. If the TV sees a 1080i format does it automatically assume a 16:9 format? If so how would this interface, at least on this TV work, with say the Sony 200HD?? SAT receiver which allows cropping of a 16:9 format to fit a 4:3 display. The STB allows one to zoom the HD 16:9 1080i format but converts it a 480p 4:3. i assume that 480p can be a native resolution for this TV but not sure. The set seems to act that way since DRC is not functional when doing this.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes if the Sony sees an HD format signal (1080i or 720p) it formats letterboxed for 16:9 since the HD standard aspect ratio is 16:9. The issues you are bringing up are due to the incompatability of using a 4:3 set for HD, a 16:9 set would be preferable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but that is not exactly my question. The question is: How DOES the TV recognize the 16:9 format and 1080i interlace. Does the TV analyze the sweep rate which is specific for the 1080i format or does this info get coded into the conponent signal some other way. Also if I take a 4:3 SD format and upconvert to 1080i outside the TV and feed that via the conponent input to the TV what will happen. Right now I use the Pace STB to do the external scaling but for an SD signal the TV will always display a pillared image. Zooming the Pace will eliminate this pillaring.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have Pace box hooked up to a 40XBR800 and through component. I get 16x9 HD on HD channels and 4x3 on SB channels with no intermediate changes needed. I have the Pace set to 4:3 and 1080i and do no stretching or zooming of any kind. A much better solution than previous boxes (SA3100HD).

Also, the 40XBR800 works fine for HD and SB - you get 40" 4x3 and a stellar direct view HD image larger thna the 34" HD sets.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ksoza

Do you believe that all 1080i component inputs to the xbr are automatically displayed in a 16:9 format? My question concerns the possibility of using an external scaler to scale say a 4:3 SD to 1080i. But if the xbr converts this scaled input to a 16:9 format then the image will be distorted. Can anyone on this forum provide some technical input on this? Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.