AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i just wanted to double-check that the parts i'm getting are what are really need. First off, i need two receivers: one high-end for moi and one low-end for my parents. And also two dishes because i want the Russian international package for my parents/grandparents. Now Dish 300's aren't really available on eBay.ca anymore, so i guess i'll just get a second 500 since they're dirt cheap anyway. So here is the list:

1. Model 4700/4900 receiver for myself

2. Model 2700/2800 receiver for parents

3. Two Dish 500 dishes with dual LNBF's

4. Two SW21 switches

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Dont forget about cable, RG6 running from the SW21s to the IRDs. And RCA/SVHS cable to run from the IRD to your TV or HT rcvr. Other then that you have everything you need.

Steve

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Since you are getting two Dish500's, make sure one has a Twin LNB and one has two dual LNB's. If you do not have this setup, you will need switches besides the SW21.

-Robert

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One dual and one twin, gotcha. How come though?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
The Twin LNB is two dual LNB's in a single housing with a built in SW42 switch. If you hook up two to the same system, this will cause problems.

I know you said you had a hard time finding Dish300's, but any 18" dish with a dual LNB will work better. It should be cheaper and much easier to aim. An ExpressVu dealer should have one.

-Robert

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ExpressVu dishes work for DishNetwork?

Also, i didn't really understand what you just said. I don't know much about hooking up DSS.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Actually any 18" dish will work. ExpressVu, DirecTV or Dish.

I'll see if I can explain myself a little better. The Dish500 was designed to look at two different satellite locations at the same time. This will make it difficult (but not impossible) to aim correctly at a single satellite. The Twin LNB is the specialized LNB that receives signals from the two satellites. Depending on the channel you are watching, the receiver sends a signal to the switch telling it with satellite to switch to. The receiver sends a different signal based on the type of switch. If you have two of the same type of switch, both switches will respond to the same signal causing problems.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by d!abolic
Any dish will work for anything as long as you have a compatable LNB. Id get a BEV dish instead of a 500 for 61.5. Side note- Express Vu IRDs are made by Dish Net and look the same as Dish Net IRDs, just with the BEV logo on them and different software. So if you ever decided to got with BEV, all you have to do is repoint your dish to 91 and the BEV s/w should begin to download.

Steve

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So what you're saying is that Dish systems can be used for BEV and vice versa? Nice, that means i would get my Canadian local channels :)

But what kind of cards do they use? The regular Dish ones or do they have their own? Because a stores here do "fixes" for Dish/DirecTV cards because it's legal here, but they won't touch BEV.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
I just read over a BEV faq, if you point the dish to 91 it will download the s/w, but beacue of the difference in cards it wont be functional. Sorry for the misinformation and getting your hopes up.

Quote from BEV FAQ
Quote:
A - No. Unfortunately, even though you can point your dish to the ExpressVu satellite (NIMIQ) and it will download the ExpressVu software, ExpressVu has their own designated set of serial numbers for their receivers and access cards and will not activate DISH-designated units. ExpressVu receivers *CAN* be used with DirecTV and DISH Network dishes/LNBs, however.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Out of curiosity, why would you want to get BEV in the US anyway? That site is designed for people who want to do just that. Here in Canada, i'm about to get Dish. Am i missing something?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
For a lot of people in the US, that's the only way to get network HD. BEV re-broadcasts a lot of US shows using a network feed from Boston. There could also be a lot of transplanted Canadian down here.

-Robert

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
BEV and *C will get a lot more popular in the US if E* loses the supers.

Steve

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why would it?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Becasue both *C and BEV offer 3 out of the 5 supers that E* has. If E* looses them and some subs no longer have access to WB and UPN their only option besides waiver would be a grey market subscription to one of the Canadian DBS providers.

Steve

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait a minute, one needs to have two dual LNB's and one needs to have a twin? Damn i can get a pretty good deal for a 500 with two duals and a 300 with one regular. So how much would a twin LNB for a 300 cost and where can it be bought?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Quote:
one needs to have two dual LNB's and one needs to have a twin?
NO! The 300 needs ONE dual. The 500 needs TWO duals or ONE Twin. Two duals need either one SW64 switch or one SW44 and at least one SW21 switch. The Twin needs at least one SW21 switch.

Quote:
So how much would a twin LNB for a 300
The is no such thing. The 300 can only have a single or dual LNB. The 500 can have two single LNB's (not much use in doing this), two dual LNB's, one Twin LNB or one Quad LNB.

Here's the combinations:

1) 500 w/Twin LNB + 300 w/dual LNB + 2 SW21 switches = max of two receivers.

2) 500 w/Quad LNB + 300 w/dual LNB + 2 SW21 switches = two receivers see all three sats and two receivers see 110 and 119 sats.

3) 500 w/Quad LNB + 300 w/dual LNB + 2x4 multiswitch + 4 SW21 switches = all four receivers can see all three sats.

4) 500 w/2 dual LNB's + 300 w/dual LNB + SW64 switch = all four receivers can see all three sats.

5) 500 w/2 dual LNB's + 300 w/dual LNB + SW44 switch + 2 SW21 switches = two receivers see all three sats and two receivers see 110 and 119 sats.

6) 500 w/2 dual LNB's + 300 w/dual LNB + 2x4 multiswitch + SW44 switch + 4 SW21 switches = all four receivers can see all three sats.

Using some passive splitters and multiple SW64's you can even do more. Pluse the new Pro LNB's are stacked LNB's. You can daisy chain the new Pro switches and have as many receivers as you want (or Dish's software allows).

-Robert

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so i can get a 500 with 2 duals, a 300 with a dual and 2 SW21 switches (come with the 500). I only have two receivers, and will never need more. Which option do you think would be best (cheapest) for me? I can sell off the SW21's if that option doesn't require them - no problem.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey actually i think i'll go with #1, save some money and skip some switches. I can get a twin LNB for the 500 on eBay and sell off the 2 duals that come with the sat i'm getting. Beats the **** out of paying $100 USD for that SW44 :) Huge thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1296180233

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.