AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice that thinks he know a thing or two but reading these forums, I know jack" Things are changing so rapidly I'm not sure a previous posts covers this. I am about to purchase an Epson 1080UB projector. When I had the room remodled, I could not get to a store in time to purchase a 50' + HDMI cable while they were dry walling. So I installed component video and Cat 5 in the ceiling where I plan to mount the projector back to my audio and video components. A Dish DVR, Sony Playstation Blueray, Sony DVD/CD player and PC fed into a Denon AVR 987 with HDMI in and HDMI and Component Video Out. (no DVI) I have no need for audio signal at the projector site (the ceiling). Audio will be run from the Receiver to a new set of speakers either in the walls or molding next to the screen. (no help needed there)

My question is; for picture quality, convenience, and alike. Should I run the picture via the ready to go component video cables from the reciever to projector (not high end cables, just standard) or should I install some sort of HDMI / CAT 5 converter? By the way I do have power in the cieling for both a projector and if needed a converter. If suggesting converting versus Component, any other brands or suggestions I should consider. Just read something about the new Honeywell wall mount converters but have no clue what works best. Thank you so so much!

Jay

·
23,032 Posts
The problem with component video is that most a/v processors and receivers will not upscale a SD resolution input from a HDMI source to a HD resolution over component, e.g. 480i/p from a DVD player. Also, today, most gear skimps on the component connectors (who uses real 75 ohm BNC connectors these days?) and for long runs there's a chance for some PQ degradation with component that would be visible on a big screen compared to HDMI.

If you read here enough, you'll see that having HDMI all around isn't a sure thing wrt things "just working".
I'd go with digital (HDMI) output to the PJ. But, since the component is already there, you could try it and see how it works out.

larry

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I'm with Larry. Try the component first and see how it works. You could compare it with an external HDMI cable to see if there's a significant difference.

Unfortunately if you decide to go HDMI, most inexpensive HDMI to CAT5 converters require two CAT5 cables, and it sounds like you have just one. However there are some more expensive units such as http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-over-single-cat5.html that do require only one CAT5/6.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
If you need HDMI there, then you'll need a media adapter for that. If not, then use component. There are HDMI adapters that work on one or two cat cables. Hopefully it's 5e or 6 you pulled. You can also do HDMI over coax.

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you don't need more than 100 feet, just go to the Altex Electronics website and get a 100' HDMI cable with an active repeater.

Cheap and works great! Not rocket science.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts