Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in the process of doing some pretty basic video and audio distribution around the house using the zones on Yamaha RXV-2400. Initially the plan is to push composite and analogue (L+R) audio around the house since none of the TVs in the other rooms have anything better, plus the limitations of the yammy only allow this.

I'm going to use CE Labs distribution amplifiers to distribute the signal. Since shipping from the US to Australia is so high I was thinking of getting their AV901COMP (9xComponent out) instead of the AV700 (7x composite). The main reason being that component is more future proof. However I'm thinking that perhaps DVI and other digital interconnects will make this pointless? What do people think, should I get the composite for now and buy some DVI system later? or is Component/RGB going to be around for a long time? The AV901COMP can do HDTV.

http://www.cable-electronics.com/html/av901comp.html
http://www.cable-electronics.com/html/av400___700.html

Thanks

Byron

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Tough call. Really don't know the issues in Aus.

If you don't have anything that will do component for now and don't plan to change for a while, I see no point in spending the extra money. IMO, you're probably correct that DVI will be fairly common in a few years.

Tough call.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
DVI may be common in a few years, but it will probably be a long time before TV's don't come with component video jacks. You can also buy a converter if you end up needing it.

CJ

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, you've helped somewhat.

Australia doesn't have any special issues, but it's hard to get good distribution amplifiers for a reasonable price. The CE Labs 9 x component costs me ~$200US delivered each (and I need 3), the composites work out at $80US which is enough of a difference to get me thinking.

Locally I can get 4 way component ones for $400US or more. Ridiculously expensive IMHO.

My other reading shows that pushing DVI a fair distance is not easy hence I suspect as CJO says component will be around for a while since it's still relatively newish (compared to composite).

Whilst on topic, I'm guessing but if I wanted to send composite via the component distribution amplifiers that would work if I just use one of the video ins (of the 3)? Or would an amplifier like that expect a particular type of signal?

Thanks

Byron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.