AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in the film industry doing video assist.. I'd like to use one of the DVHS decks to record HD resolution video for playback on the set.. Since the decks only record HD from the tuner, is there any solution to me recording on the decks via a component-to-firewire or SDI-to-firewire solution?

I routinely use my notebook computer on set, is there any way to record HD via my notebook? or use it in conjunction with the DVHS deck?

Thanks!

-Matthew

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Unfortunatly it's not thta simple. To record HD from a component source it must be compressed. This is an expensive box. Presently the only comsumer side sources are a firewire equipped OTA receiver and some cable boxes with firewire outputs.

There are a few facilities in Hollywood that can record content to DVHS. Laserpacific.com has been offering DVHS HD dailies since 2001.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
If you are looking to record HD (1080i or 720p) onto a D-VHS deck then you will be needing an HD-SDI (not SDI) or analogue component to MPEG2 TS via Firewire converter - basically an MPEG2 encoder and transport stream generator (pretty much what the broadcasters use to encode HD for broadcast using ATSC)

These aren't going to be cheap (it isn't as simple as converting SDI to DV via Firewire for SD recording onto DVCam or miniDV)

I haven't seen such a device marketed yet - nor have I seen an HD-SDI equipped PC running real-time HD MPEG2 encoding software that can do the same thing.

The killer is the real-time HD MPEG2 encoding - still a non-trivial thing - which is why dedicated hardware solutions are still in-use.

HDV camcorders must include such silicon inside them - but they don't have analogue HD component inputs or HD-SDI inputs. I'm not sure if there is a standalone HDV recorder (I've seen players) yet which will take a non-Firewire input, and thus allow recording of uncompressed HD inputs (HD-SDI or analogue YPrPb)

It may be something that appears in the near future though.

(I was looking for something similar earlier this year - I needed to record a one time HD-SDI camera feed onto D-VHS for a project I was working on. In the end the solution was to convert off-line on a PC - but not in real-time...)

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
You can convert component to SDI, and capture SDI. Then convert it from the native record format to .ts streams, which can be sent to a DVHS deck. It will cost you about $5k in hardware.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys..

I guess there isn't a easy/fast solution..

Typically on a film set, I'm given a composite signal and I capture it to my notebook via DV into Vegas.. When the director asks (or anyone), I then play back what I've captured so they can make sure they got the shot.. They do this even with video tape..

I can't take time to convert/compress/etc.. Before I captured to my notebook computer, I used a SVHS deck.. That is about the minimum setup I'd like.. Now I use a DV clamshell and a portable DVD recorder (clients can leave with a DVD of the shots) for hard recording, and my notebook computer for soft recording.. Once set up, it's all very quick and efficient..

I'd like the same at HD resolution, but I guess I'll have to wait.. I have a client who will be shooting about 8 months of HD, would be nice to have HD playback on set.. Sony has a great little portable HDCam recorder/player, but it's $25K.. :confused:

I own the Sony Z1 HDV camera, and thought about getting the HDV deck, but it has no component or HD res inputs at all (except for firewire).. Not very usable as a recorder except laying stuff back to tape from the computer.. JVC has a sweet little HDV portable recorder/player clamshell, but it doesn't playback the 1080i signal my sony camera records..

-Matthew

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Don't forget the adage... "Choose two of three - quality/speed/price" This is similar to your "easy/fast" request. You forgot the price in the equation. The Sony HDCAM deck is fast and easy but not cheap. You can probably cobble something together in the near future that may be considered relatively cheap and may give good quality results, but probably won't be fast and easy to put together or use. Good Luck.

- Mike

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miimura
Don't forget the adage... "Choose two of three - quality/speed/price" This is similar to your "easy/fast" request. You forgot the price in the equation. The Sony HDCAM deck is fast and easy but not cheap. You can probably cobble something together in the near future that may be considered relatively cheap and may give good quality results, but probably won't be fast and easy to put together or use. Good Luck.

- Mike
Yep - a designer I know often quotes this when it comes to set design. You can have it cheap and quick but it won't be good quality, you can have it now in quality, but it will cost you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.