Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a question for all of our wonderful Z1 owners out there. Is the picture quality good enough (480p & 1080i) thru the component input or is it worth getting a Component-to-VGA Transcoder for the vga input?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would like to know this as well. I have read one poster who said his component was fuzzy compared to VGA.

I am currently running my DVD through component, and my Xbox through VGA, and the Xbox video certainly seems a lot sharper than the DVD video.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gray Davis,

I seem to remember some posts about this topic awhile ago, but can't recall what the overall opinion was. Hope some answers soon.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a Z1 and the picture is considerably sharper through the VGA port. I'm still on the fence though as to whether there is additional detail and which I prefer.

Ed

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Ed. I knew someone had an answer to my question. I'd like to buy a Z1 here soon, and am trying to warrant the extra cost for a Key Digital Component-to-VGA transcoder. If I will get a noticeably sharper pq w/ it, then I guess the cost is justified. -Dan

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
First off, the VGA input is clearer than the component input. This I have verified with my Dish 6000 box outputting back and forth between component and the VGA output. There was less difference between the component and VGA inputs on the Infocus X1.

On DVD's the difference is there, but less noticable than HD. Image is slightly sharper and contrast is a little better.

I have gone back to using the component input for DVD's because I wasn't thrilled with what the transcoder (or KVM switch I was trying too) was doing to the HD signal. I'm satisfied for now, in fact I'm more pleased with the picture I've been getting out of the Sanyo lately then I have been with any projector I've owned...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dandavw
Thanks, Ed. I knew someone had an answer to my question. I'd like to buy a Z1 here soon, and am trying to warrant the extra cost for a Key Digital Component-to-VGA transcoder. If I will get a noticeably sharper pq w/ it, then I guess the cost is justified. -Dan

If I was strictly using the Sanyo for DVD's and SD, then yes, I would use a transcoder. It is better.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Robert. So, what your saying is you use VGA for HD video, and Component for DVD's. I was going to try to go the single video feed route (running only 1 set of video cables), but what you are doing may be another option.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Is it possible to have TWO VGA sources (in other words, some kind of switch box)? I read a post that said the Z1 gets too confused if you switch VGA back and forth between DVD and some other source like an Xbox....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gray, I think I read that also. Maybe using the VGA input for HD feed and Component input for DVD's would be the best. One thing I forgot to mention in the beginning of my post (if it matters), is I can only use a screen that is 70" diagonal (about 61" width) because of positioning and layout of my living room. To me, that size would still be significant over the 36" 4:3 JVC we are using right now. To buy a RPTV around the same size would actually cost me more, and my girlfriend does not want some big huge black box sitting in the living room!!!!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
As I described above, I wasn't thrilled with the results from using a KVM switch (belkin). It's a VGA switcher in effect. It added a slight shimmering to the picture.

If you used a more heavy duty approach (like an Extron switcher) you would no doubt have better results.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gray Davis
Is it possible to have TWO VGA sources (in other words, some kind of switch box)? I read a post that said the Z1 gets too confused if you switch VGA back and forth between DVD and some other source like an Xbox....
Yes this works. There is a bit of a delay while the 1HD tries to sync. The only problem I had was trying to use the XBlaster Xbox component transcoder. The 1HD/Z1 just had trouble syncing correctly to that thing...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dandavw
Thanks, Robert. So, what your saying is you use VGA for HD video, and Component for DVD's. I was going to try to go the single video feed route (running only 1 set of video cables), but what you are doing may be another option.
That was my objective too.

I would prefer just using my component capable receiver to do all the switching...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If VGA gives the best/sharpest image for DVDs, then I would definitely want to go VGA for DVD. I currently have my Xbox hooked up to an X2VGA, which plugs directly into the Xbox and provides VGA output. I like this very much, so I don't want to lose that in order to have DVD component to VGA.

Robert, did the shimmering you describe while using the belkin to switch affect all inputs? I mean, did it just affect HD, or did it shimmer for DVD VGA as well? All I care about is DVD and Xbox. No HD for the forseeable future for me.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gray Davis
If VGA gives the best/sharpest image for DVDs, then I would definitely want to go VGA for DVD. I currently have my Xbox hooked up to an X2VGA, which plugs directly into the Xbox and provides VGA output. I like this very much, so I don't want to lose that in order to have DVD component to VGA.

Robert, did the shimmering you describe while using the belkin to switch affect all inputs? I mean, did it just affect HD, or did it shimmer for DVD VGA as well? All I care about is DVD and Xbox. No HD for the forseeable future for me.
Yes. It affected both inputs. I recommend getting as good a switcher as possible if you're going to use one. But it's a very subtle shimmer, not really noticable during normal viewing unless your being as anal as I am...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I think I'm extremely neurotic when it comes to picture quality Robert, so shimmer is no good for me. When you say "as good a switcher as possible" though, I start to think of my poor, nearly non-existent bank account. How expensive do the better switchers run? Maybe I'll just buy a transcoder for now and switch them by hand...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Guys..a sorta follow-up question, can a break-out cable be used instead of a more expensive transcoder? I had one working between a JVC progscan player and an NEC LT150 before.....

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yeah Eric I was thinking the same thing. I think every other current projector out there takes progressive component through its VGA port with a breakout cable (no transcoder needed). In reality that should give better quality. I don't know about the Z1 however.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Lespurgeon

Pardon my ignorance but what is a breakout cable ? I currently hook my L300u up to a Panny X30 with component to both units Would I get a better picture using the component to vga output ? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lespurgeon
Yeah Eric I was thinking the same thing. I think every other current projector out there takes progressive component through its VGA port with a breakout cable (no transcoder needed). In reality that should give better quality. I don't know about the Z1 however.

Tried it with the Z1 using the X1 $20 Component to VGA cable.

The Z1 doesn't take a progressive input on the VGA connection...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.