AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The advantage to using the VGA (RGB) input is that you get the correct tint/color setting as specified by whomever produced the program. With Component you would need a HD test pattern generator to be able to calibrate tint/color. I myself use the VGA input to assure correct tint/color but others like to use the component input so they can adjust tint/color to their preference. Also just so you know when using the VGA input on the Pioneer you can not adjust tint/color so don't worry that there is something wrong with your HDTV!

Also be aware that 1080i is not line doubled (no matter which input you use). All HDTV's will automatically turn off their internal line doublers when being fed a HD or Progressive source.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
12 Posts
First one. I've been reading this forum for ~ one year. Great info and advice. I need your recommendations! I have a Pioneer PRO710 to which I am adding a Sony SAT HD100 next week. Question: Should I use Component or VGA(RGB) cables in? I understand that the HD100 upconverts all signals to 1080i through the VGA connection. I am leaning towards component in inorder for the Pioneer to do the line doubling. Advice? Thanks in advance.

------------------

blackjack

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The DISH 6000 when it came out initially had a sync problem with Pioneers & the VGA input! DISH luckily was diligent enough to work on a fix and they replaced anyone with a Pioneer HDTV with a corrected 6000 and corrected the it at the manufacturing plant as well. Maybe you and others with the Sony should push them to resolve your problem as well. Your receiver SHOULD be fully compatible with a top brand such as Pioneer!

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hmm, well like I think I stated in another thread, the HD-100 is not compatable with the pioneer using VGA. Nobody could ever give a answer why but my pro 510 would not sync up with the Song STB. I had already heard this from someone before I bought the Sony but couldn't get back in contact with them.

Therefor I went ahead and bought one myself. The set loses Horz. lock and almost hangs up the Tv itself. I was only interested in HD so I return the Sony because it wouldn't work with my 510 using VGA. Sure it works in component but I wasn't interested in that 480i pass through. Also there was a big difference between the HD channels and regular directv. The TV needed to be adjusted completely different on regular directv using the component outputs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for both replies. The Pioneer Elite Pro has a "RGB" input. The Sony H100 has a "VGA" output. Are these two connections compatible for the sony/pioneer? Sounds like the answere is NO! Any other Pioneer Elite Pro owners using Sony HD100 have problems?

In the April 2001 issue of "Sound & Vision" there is a chart listing HDTV tuners. The only tuners listed for "RGB" outputs are: (1) Pana TU-HDS20;(2) Princeton Graphics HDT-2000;and (3) Sensory Science HDT100. Should I be looking for one of these STB's if I want to use the RGB input. Or should I use any good STB with component input. I have no money invested in any STB yet. I've been waiting for a year to get a good STB and can wait longer if necessary. I can cancel the Sony HD100 instalation if necessary.

------------------

blackjack

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have the Pioneer 610 and tried both the RGB and the COmponant outputs of the Dishh 6000. Following the advice in another post I recently checked viewing SD channels through the SD output of the 6000 (S Video). It looks far better than through the HD ouput, because as you stated the Pioneers line doubling is much better. For this reason I use the Componant output on the 6000. This way I do not have to change inouts on the tv when I switch from SD to HD. THey are both connected to Input 1 (or you could use 2). Input 3 is used for RGB or S video not both on the Pioneer. I hope this opinion makes sense. Bottom line IMO is that I could not see much of a difference between the RGB and Componant out of the 6000, but using Componant allows me to switch between the HD/SD outputs of the 600 without chaving to change the input of the tv.

Best Wishes

Warren

------------------

Warren

·
Registered
745 Posts
No, the Sony HD-100 VGA output is not compatible with the VGA input on the Pioneer. Yes it should be but it's not. I've only heard one other person say they tried it and they got the same results I did, it won't sync up.

I have no idea if Sony will correct this or not, I didn't bother to ask, I shouldn't have to!

The component works fine, it appears most people prefer component out. I prefer the VGA esp. since my pro 510 has the input.

I'm going to pick up the lowest price RCA dtc-100 I can find and use the VGA out on it, and wait to see what appears in the future.

·
Banned
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blackjack:
...In the April 2001 issue of "Sound & Vision" there is a chart listing HDTV tuners. The only tuners listed for "RGB" outputs are: (1) Pana TU-HDS20;(2) Princeton Graphics HDT-2000;and (3) Sensory Science HDT100....
WHOAAA!!!!

They didn't list the DTC-100? One of the _most_ popular HD tuners in the market? Hmmmm, something doesn't make sense here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ~

Yes it is DirecTV Plus but it works quite well as a stand alone OTA tuner _and_ it has RGB outputs that work just fine with the Pioneers. Did I mention MSRP is $549?

Rick

·
Registered
745 Posts
ELCid

Now I'm a little confused! I had heard some Dish 6000's wouldn't work with Pioneer sets and Dish fix the problem. I was wondering if you are talking about that pincushion type problem (bowing in on the sides) that some Pioneer sets have when using the VGA input. Thats not the problem I'm having, it won't sync up with the HD-100. It works fine with a RCA dtc-100 though.

Are you saying you tried the VGA input on your set using the Sony HD-100 and it works? I'm not sure how it can be my set since the RCA works fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Gary,

Makes sense. There is a switch on the back of the 610 that switches input 3 between RGB and the other inputs (S, composite). If you aren't getting a picture on input 3 thru S try flipping the switch.

Warren

------------------

Warren

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
blackjack,

Please be aware that the comparison chart in the April 2001 "Sound & Vision" that compares HDTV STBs is incomplete and riddled with errors. (The list of direct-view HDTVs is flawed, too.)

The HDTV STB chart lists STBs like the RCA DTC100 as having no RGBHV output when it actually does have one! (It DOESN'T have component outputs but according to the list it does!)There are HDTV STBs that have reached the market or that will soon do so which do not appear on the list. More and more I find print publications such as this on so out of date as to be useless.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
196 Posts
There is a very simple explanation for why many DTV sets will not accept 720p and 1080i signals in the RGB format.

In Japan, there is a bias towards combinations of component signal formats and sync rates. It is expected over there that HDTV signals should always be in the YPbPr component format, and that computer signals are always in the RGB format.

For some sets, feeding them a 1080i or 720p signal as RGB makes the set think it's getting a SVGA or XGA source - but the aspect ratio or sync timing is wrong. This is why so many Japanese TVs have had trouble with the RCA DTC100.

The horizontal scan rate for 480p is 31.5 KHz, while 720p is 44.9 kHz and 1080i is 33.75 kHz. If the cable connection is RGBs or RGBHV, the TV assumes it must be getting a computer source (640x480 VGA is also 31.5 kHz, and 33.8 is close enough to the 37.9 kHz SVGA standard).

I've also seen this problem with Sony's VPL-VW10HT home theater projector and line doublers - if you are line-doubling widescreen material and feed the line-doubled signal as RGB, the projector "forces" to RGB computer mode, and you re stuck with a 4x3 window and no aspect ratio control.

Only going to a YPbPr connection solves this problem.

In short, the problem is not you - it is a bias towards certain computer and DTV formats. Sony's new 42" plasma doesn't care what the format is - just tell it the correct component format (YPbPr or RGB) and you can connect any DTV or progressive-scan DVD signal to it and still have full aspect ratio control.

On the other hand, Hitachi and NEC plasma are quite fussy about input signal formats.

K.C.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I have both dish6000 (vga fixed for Pioneer) and DTC-100 for my Pioneer SD532HD5. I am only interested in HD materials. Although it is not possible to adjust color/tint specs with RGB input, you still can try several pre-set viewing modes in your Pioneer to get to your desired taste. The reason I decided to go with component however was because the HD pictures seem more detailed with component input. VGA/RGB connection loses clarity by just a little, so little that I was the only one in the household who could detect the difference, but that was enough for us to go component, even if it means to buy a $129 transcoder for my DTC-100.

Anyone with 6000/pioneer noticed the same difference? Or is it just my TV VGA is bad?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm up and running thanks to you all. Installed 6000 Tuesday. Using VGA for HD and S video for SD. Picture is fantastic.

------------------

blackjack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'm up and running thanks to you all. Installed 6000 Tuesday. Using VGA for HD and S video for SD. Picture is fantastic.

------------------

blackjack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.