AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that alot of times cable and satellite signals are compressed so much that sometimes S-Video looks better than component. Has anybody ever seen a good uncompressed satellite or cable signal where component looked really good and much better than S-Video? Going a little further does anybody out there receive cable or satellite from DVI? Is it any better than component? Lastly does anybody know how many channels a cable or satellite system could deliver if they didn't COMPRESS anything? I'd be willing to have fewer channel if the ones I got were all uncompressed abd had great piture quality. If your satellite or cable provider offered a NO COMPRESSED package would you be interested? Any answers to any of these questions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
You post seems a little confusing...

Apparently you know the pecking order of video connections...what provides the best results, what provides the worst results...

But what confuses me is that now you seem to be saying that the video source affects your choice, IMO, it shouldn't, unless your goal is to attempt to cover up some flaws in the source picture by using a lesser connection type?

Choose the best connection type available to you, and if that connection type shows more flaws, then put the screws to your provider to improve their level of service. If everyone started doing this type of thing, alot of our crappy signals might improve...

My $.02 worth...

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would think that Component would always have better picture quality but this is not always the case. I get digital cable--most of the stations are better with component, but not all. Some of the lower channels and 1 of the High definition channels actually looks better with the S-Video connection.

I agree that a big ugly dish will provide uncomressed signals. What really ticks me off is that satellite and cable providers kill themselves to provide more COMPRESSED channels. I'd rather have 60 great NONCOMPRESSED channels than 300 COMPRESSED ones with bad picture quality. If satellite and cable providers continue their ways OTA, VOOM, and Big Ugly Dishes will benefit.

I guess what is frustrating is not knowing whether my less than perfect picture quality come from 1)COMPRESSED signal, 2)cable box's handling of the signal, 3)quality of my component cable, or 4) strength of the cable sginal coming to my house.

I guess when you get down to it the only way to receive the best signals possible are to constantly switch between a good OTA antenna, VOOM, and a Big ugly dish. The best is out there--you just have to pay alot for it--with the High Definition transition taking place I hope that satellite and cable companies will focus less on number of channels and more on picture quality!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
"You would think that Component would always have better picture quality but this is not always the case. I get digital cable--most of the stations are better with component, but not all. Some of the lower channels and 1 of the High definition channels actually looks better with the S-Video connection"

~do you this connected to an HDTV? of corse the lower channels would look better with S-Video, they are ANALOG and S-Video is ANALOG. why are watching an HD channel with S-Video which is not HD?

·
Banned
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I get 7 or 8 High Definition chanels on Brighthouse Cable through a Pace Cable box. One of the stations is a local Fox station broadcasting 480P. The television is a 36-inch Hitachi with both component and S-Video Inputs. The Fox station through component looks bad. The other High Definition Channels look great. The analog channels below 100 actually look better through component than they did through s-Video, the digital cable channels above 100 look fine and the High Definition Channels except for the one Fox local channel look the best--I know the TV is non HDTV, but the High Def channels do look the best. For the most part I recommend that even owners of non-HDTVs use High Definition boxes and component inputs if they have them--for the most part the reception for me has been better, but I've heard it isn't the case for everybody and certainly isn't the case for me and the Loclal 480pFox channel--but the same Fox Channel on analog broadcasting 480i looks OK. I just hate COMPRESSED channels!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CCarncross
miniz, you do know that component connections are analog as well, right?

DVI amd HDMI are 2 of the digital connection types.
yes, I do know that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.