AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta do it the hard way.

I'm putting an LCD HDTV into our exercise room, which is presently wired with two CAT5E and two RG6's terminated with RCA jacks. I know I could just buy a pair of component baluns, but I already have several extra composite+stereo baluns (ETS LAN AV901), so I'm wondering if I can run one of the three component lines on the balun's composite connection, and the other two component lines on the RG6's.

I'm not real sure about the bandwidth requirements of the individual component lines or what is typical for a composite balun. Would it be preferable to run one particular line on the balun versus another? (I know the RGB color-coding on YPbPr component doesn't relate to red/green/blue, but I thought I'd read something about there being more info, and I'm thinking perhaps a higher bandwidth requirement, on the green line).

Or is this just a bad idea because of mismatched wire lengths and other considerations of that nature?

I'd just get up there and try it, but the TV hasn't been delivered yet, and I'd like to order the component baluns ASAP if somebody assures me this isn't going to work.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If the three sets of wires have a significatly different lengths then the mismatch could cause a relative delay that would show up as shift or smear of one of more of the colors from the edge of the object. You can probably tolerate a few feet difference but more is problematic. The only way to know is just to try it.

Yes, the "Y" (green connector) is the luminance (b&w) signal that carries the fine detail so it has the highest bandwidth. The Pb and Pr both have about half the bandwidth of the Y.

The AV901 balun has 60MHz bandwidth according to the data sheet so it should readily carry any of the signals. I'm not sure which signal is best to run through the balun so I would suggest trying all combinations to see which looks best.

In sum, it may work, but you'll only know for sure after trying it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts