AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter whether a TV is PAL or NTSC if I use Component? Can I feed native PAL interlaced (or progressive) signal to an NTSC Panel using the DVD's Component output?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Unless the specifications say that the TV handles 576i/p at 50Hz... it likely won't work though there's always a chance that a model is "universal" without actually saying so. Sony used to sell LCD TVs which did PAL format but I don't see it for current models, Sharp mentions being able to select PAL format for video input for some models and Philips seems to be selling several models which are "universal" for video inputs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is an issue I have just come up against. I have an "international" DVD/PVR. When playing NTSC DVDs it outputs in NTSC and when playing PAL DVDs it outputs in PAL. I also bought a PAL to NTSC video convertor so that I could watch our PAL DVDs on an old NTSC CTR TV we had. Then upgraded the TV to a 26" LCD Samsung LNR267W. Without knowing it the TV turned out to be multisystem and gave us a perfect picture whether watching NTSC or PAL DVDs (BTW connected by component video cables). The Samsung manual makes no mention of this compatibility and the specifications do not explicity state 576i/p at 50Hz.

So I wa quite happy until I just upgraded further to a 37" LCD. I forgot about lucking out on the Samsung being universal and didn't try and find a universal 37" TV. I ended up buying an LG 37LB4D. After setting everything up the wife and I settled down on Friday evening to watch a movie. Unfortunately it was one of our PAL DVDs and the TV reported the input as being in the wrong format - damn!!!!!

So I am now going to have to return the TV and try and find a good quality universal 37" LCD panel. I'm going to post a separate request for suggestions but don't hold out much hope because the manufacturer's generally do not advertise their systems to be universal even though they maybe.

My second option is to take our DVD player and a PAL disc down to some local stores and try it out on the display models. Hopefully we'll find at least one that works........

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took my DVD player down to Best Buy and tested three 37" LCD TVs with the following results (only tested using component Input 1 and with whatever settings the store had the TVs set to):

Samsung LNT375H - "Incompatible input signal" (Manual states 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz - no mention of PAL)

Sharp LC37D43U - Displayed picture fine (Manual states NTSC and PAL for Inputs 1 and 2 only - can be set to Auto detect).

Sharp LC37D62U - Displayed picture fine (Manual states NTSC and PAL for Inputs 1 and 2 only - can be set to Auto detect).

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts