AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a Comcast STB with a DVR section for which I have no use and for which I don’t want to pay monthly. I’ve got a Panasonic EH75 PVR with only composite and S-video inputs. My current Motorola STB has an S-Video output to which I connect my Panny PVR’s S-Video input. I can deliver the current DVR-equipped STB back to Comcast and trade for a non-DVR STB, thus saving the monthly DVR fee; however, Comcast does not make available non-DVR STBs with an S-Video output. If I want to continue using my EH75, I’d have to lower the quality video connection to composite. I’ve not a lot of testing to determine the quality difference (and maybe a forum member or two may have), but, assuming the quality would noticeably drop going to composite video, I’d much prefer running a component out from the STB (which is equipped with component outputs) to an S-Video input on my Panasonic recorder, but I’d need some sort of converter and I’m having a difficult time finding one on line. I also don’t have the experience or skills to put one together effectively.

BTW, I use the HDMI output from the STB for viewing on my display, quite apart from any recording processes.

Can anyone here recommend or identify for me a likely reliable component to S-Video converter?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’ve done a bit more research, both with Comcast and on the web looking for a converter. Regarding the latter, the only converter I’ve found is a Monoprice, which has a large number of reviews that note that the power supply for the device tends to overheat and fail, mostly at around two years. There’s no warranty that extends that long and the power supply cannot be purchased separately. I’ve emailed Monoprice but the company has not returned my emails.

I’ve identified, with help from a Comcast rep, the RNG150 STB which is a non-DVR STB with the same outputs, including the S-Video Out, as my current DVR box that I’m going to return to Comcast at a local store. Unfortunately, while Comcast knows the amount of non-DVR STBs in inventory in Comcast stores throughout the nation, individual models cannot be identified, the RNG150 is no longer the current non-DVR model, and, as I’m sure most are aware, it’s impossible to make telephone contact with a local store.

So I’m throwing in the towel and the DVR box to my local Comcast store, picking up a non-DVR box and saving the DVR rental fee differential, and settling for a possibly diminished IQ running composite video versus SVideo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts