Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm upgrading my theater. Here's the components I will be using:

Onkyo 605

Sony DVD DVP-NC800HB

Motorola Comcast cable box

Sony PS3

The shelving is open on 3 sides (built under the stairs with the shelves supported from the front). See my signature for pictures. I think there is enough open space to allow for good ventalation.

My question is about what order I should stack the components given the amount of heat they give off. I know the cable box puts off some heat, and I'm sure the reciever will put off quite a bit. Each component will be on it's own shelf, but in what order should they be in so the device above it won't be affected?!

Any suggestions welcome!!

Thanks

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If they are on their own shelves, order should not matter. They will all put out varying amounts of electromagnetic radiation. But it's unknown how much, and to what degree any device is sensitive to it.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I'd put the receiver on the most open shelf. That is what will likely get the hottest.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of putting the reciever on top figuring it would be the hottest and allow the heat to disipate straight up and out, and then the other components in this order...

Receiver

Cable Box

DVD player

PS3

This puts the warmest stuff on top where the heat to go up and out and not across the other components.

·
Registered
27,092 Posts
Heat on top, cool components below. Your thinking is correct. Heat is the enemy of electronics.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Three of those four components are significant heat generators and need a LOT of ventilation. Heat rises, and whether the PS3 or the Onkyo are on top, you're going to get a reaction from the topmost component in terms of response to accumulated heat.

Fortunately, it looks like you have a significant compartment behind the components, so you could put a large, quiet fan in there forcing air out from back to front past the components. Be sure to install a filtered air intake on a different wall as a source of cool air and you will also considerably reduce the amount of dust that accumulates on your components.

·
Registered
254 Posts
One other thing to think about is convenience of use. The cable box you don't really need to touch -- just point the remote at it. The DVD player you need to load with discs, so how far do you want to bend over? If you think the heat will dissipate well enough, I would think about putting the DVD on top and the cable box on the bottom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts