AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a relatively inexpensive A/V receiver that can handle component switching.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have myself been looking for a similar receiver. I have done a lot of reading and research, and I'm sort of between two different receivers: the Denon AVR-1803 and the Onkyo TX-SR600, both of which can be bought between $400 and $500. The question I'm still facing is about the video bandwith, which would allow you to properly send a strong signal to an HDTV. The Denon has 27MHz and the Onkyo has 60MHz. I've read various threads in this forum, and the consensus seems to be that at least 50MHz is needed to get a good strong signal, which the Denon can't. I've also become a bit worried about the rumored power problems with this Onkyo. But regardless of which one you pick, both are going to be good I think. At this point, I am maybe considering waiting for the Denon AVR-2803, which I'm hoping will have 100MHz bandwith like the 3803. Anyone knows when this will be out and how much it will cost?

Hope that helps a bit.

Javier

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
All you need is 37Mhz to pass HD with out any loss of picture quality. My brother-in-law uses his 3802 to pass HD and it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In that case the Denon AVR-1803 with 27MHz wouldn't be enough. I guess it might be between the TX-SR600 or perhaps the AVR-2803 for me.

My uncle also has a 3802 with a plasma screen, but I think he has the sat box and dvd player hooked up directly to the screen, in which case the bandwith wouldn't be an issue I suppose. If I wanted to also connect an xbox and HTPC with component cables for example, then I think not many TVs have 4 component inputs, do they?

Javier

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The new Denon 3803 has 100MHz bandwidth and offers up-conversion of composite and S-video signals to component.

thebishman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.