AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if someone can shed some light on the power requirements for HD over component cable. Basically, the question stems from the fact that I have 2 component inputs on my TV and need more than that.

I have looked at using a receiver that has component switching to handle extra inputs, but have heard that there is a minimum power requirement (50MHz?) for HDTV over component. So, in order to not incur signal loss, I would need a receiver that could provide at least that much power.

If this is in fact the case, does anyone know what the actual frequencies are for the different pic resolutions (1080i, 720p, 480p)?

The subsequent question of which receivers can handle those requirements isn't for this thread, but I figured the requirements for the signals would be.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, any other ideas for component switching options?

Thanks,

McLeod

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Your numbers are right, just the terminology is a little wrong. The measurment is frequency response. And then comes the power of the signal. You want to be no more than 0.1db at 30mhz and to do thet you will need 60mhz at -3db. DB is a measurment of power.

But as no consumer HDTV medium can produce any energy at 30mhz, you can easily get by with 25mhz flat bandwidth. A 50mhz switch you mention is just fine.

Audio Authority makes a great little 4x1 switcher that also handles digital audio. And I beleive it does much better than 50mhz as well.

BTW, it's priced right too.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
You can pass HD with less than 50mhz, but, depending on your setup, you may experience some loss. I view 50mhz as the minimum, and would desire significantly more. My component switcher from Zektor has a 250mhz pass-thru which all will agree is VERY acceptable for HD.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.