AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am starting to look at specific models of component switching amps/receivers. There is Pioneer, Sony, H/K etc.

I was wondering if any of these implementations introduce any noise into the picture, specifically for large FP (as it would be the most noticeable). I am sure that not all receivers are made equally, and I don't want t obuy a dud!

Do any of you guys have one of these wit your FP, and are you happy that there is no added noise in the picture.

cheers.

------------------

Tertiary adjunct to Unimatrix Zero-One

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got one of the new pioneer ex receivers(vsx-35tx) and hooked it up to my dish 6000. Major disappointment!

Tried exchanging it for the 37tx and no difference after several calls to Pioneer, I was told that yes, you can use the component inputs but for the best picture it is still best to run straight to the source.

I spoke to denon and yamaha and was told the same thing. Too bad, it would sure make things a lot more convenient! FYI, dvd was better but still clearly noticeable.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The Denon AVC-A1SE (5800 in the US) is very good at video switching, haven't tried component yet but for Svideo and composite it actually improved the picture.

Jeff

·
Registered
846 Posts
Kenwood was showing off a new receiver that did component video switching at CEDIA. I believe it had two inputs. They were running their new 400 DVD changer through it.

Picture looked pretty good to me. Couldn't tell you if, though, if there was degradation due to the switching.

--Les

·
Registered
96 Posts
It is not a reciever but RDC-7 pre/pro from Integra research has 3 component inputs and one output rated @45MHz (or is it 100MHz?)

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Think Dennon... First how much do you want to spend?

I just got a Dennon 3801 for ~$750 the new model is the 3802, not much difference. The 3801 and 3802 has DTS EX 6.1 and plenty of power. It will also matrix 5.1 movies or normal souround into all your speakers. and yes svideo and conponment switching. I did alot or research and for under $1500 it is hard to beat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Denon AV1SE (5800) component switching is great! No problems with either Progressive NTSC. I have not tried with 720/10xx.

best

Kasper

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Many recievers do component switching, but only a few do it at 45+ MHz. Most are rated at 35MHz, where there is a slight signal degradation. But to most people this is an acceptable compromise for the ease of having the switching capability.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Having set up the Denon 5800 (Denon's top of the line A/V Receiver) I can say that there is a slight degradation (it appears as a softening of the picture a kind of loss of detail) in switching progressive video. The loss is nothing substantial but it is noticeable. Like what plannr says you can use it but it is adviseable to connect directly to the projector.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys, thanks for the eye opener! I just posted this question but not really expecting any negative reactions to component switching noise. BOY, was I wrong.

If David (last post before this) can detect a slight degradation using the top of the line Denon, then I think I will just get the ladder out and get another 3x30foot component cables (RCA) down the roof/walls to the 10HT.

Thanks for all your help guys. (PS, kick some butt soon.)

cheers.

------------------

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
The new Kenwood receivers (for sure) do have extended Bandwith, 120MHZ off the top of my head...With 3 inputs...

Other manufacturers are following suit as well. Denon, sherwood (I THINK I read).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now we're talking. Here in OZ, Kenwood have never had a good name for serious HiFi components in the past.(Not to be confused with their auto dept which are excellent).

Even recent model receivers weren't (spell check) even a chance because they didn't have pre-outs on the mains.

Looks like they are leading the packs with these new ones.

Can someone with one of these Kenwood receivers mentioned above confirm the quality of signal through the onboard component switching. (with FP please).

Thanking kindly in advance.

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.