AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a couple weeks ago about people using these type of switchers to go from multiple component inputs to a single output:

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=784&scat=811

They put the components into the video, audio left, and audio right inputs and outputs. They supposedly work because it's a direct connection and there mhz of frequency doesn't matter since it's not like the other switchers. I can't find these threads again though.

Here's a good picture: http://images.bestbuy.com/images/esk...vAw500h208.jpg

Will this work for component switching without any quality loss?

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
There are so many threads in here discussing this exact same thing. Did you do a search for "component switching" or something similar? You should find all that you need to know. In a nutshell, opinions differ on this so you'll have to reach your own conclusions once you process everyone's opinions.

I have a true component switcher from Zektor. I've also tried true component switchers from Key Digital and Audio Authority - all with great results. It's just one man's opinion, but I didn't invest all this money just to pass my signals through something that wasn't constructed to handle the necessary bandwidth. Still, others have said they noticed no signal degredation whatsoever.

You could just purchase the unit, try it for 30 days or so and if you like it, keep it, if not return it before the return date. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a search for component switching and got two threads on component poer needed, and the rest just mentioned. Noone referred to using a stnadard AV switcher as a component switch.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What type of cheap AV switchers did they notice no signal degradion on? Any simple $30 one from BB will work Or...?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering how different my receivers: "component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 28MHz bandwidth) " is compared to these cheap AV switches? What makes those work better then this 28mhz?

28MHz isn't nearly enough for untouched HDTV, right?

Here is how crutchfield has to say about it:

"Component Video Bandwidth

The bandwidth available to send component video signals to your receiver. You'll need bandwidth over 10 MHz to pass on progressive-scan video without noticeable softening of the picture. And for HDTV signals, you'll need bandwidth in the upper 20s or higher to avoid noticeable softening of the picture (with most TVs). "

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaggeto

28MHz isn't nearly enough for untouched HDTV, right?
Right.

Quote:
Here is how crutchfield has to say about it....
Forget about that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.