AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years ago I bought a 65" Mitsubishi HD1080 rear projection TV from BestBuy. It came with component connections. I remember them telling that Mitsubishi was going to sell and upgrade kit for the inputs but everyone says they don't. Is there anyway to convert HDMI to component inputs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
There are a few options, none from a US company. Due to copy concerns it is illegal to manufacture a stand alone HDMI HDCP compliant converter. There are a few available from overseas sources: Taiwan (see Moome's projector workshop site: 221.169.10.62), England (the VISIONFC4 sold by Lektropacks Ltd) and Korea (the Moonjong converter). I have a Sony G90 projector and have used Moome's product and am currently experimenting with the VISIONFC4. I couldn't get the Moome converter to work with my BluRay or HDDVD players, the VISIONFC4 does. You can buy the VISIONFC4 on EBAY for $187.50 plus shipping.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyadopter /forum/post/0


There are a few options, none from a US company. Due to copy concerns it is illegal to manufacture a stand alone HDMI HDCP compliant converter. There are a few available from overseas sources: Taiwan (see Moome's projector workshop site: 221.169.10.62), England (the VISIONFC4 sold by Lektropacks Ltd) and Korea (the Moonjong converter). I have a Sony G90 projector and have used Moome's product and am currently experimenting with the VISIONFC4. I couldn't get the Moome converter to work with my BluRay or HDDVD players, the VISIONFC4 does. You can buy the VISIONFC4 on EBAY for $187.50 plus shipping.

Good Luck!

Do you get 1080I or 1080P out of your connection...


Unfortunately one of the other naughty boxes I use only makes a handshake with 1080I ....and I would be very helped if you could give me that info.



It helps before I order....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
It doesen't appear that the VISION FC4 accepts or outputs 1080p. Here are my experiences:

Connected to the HDMI output of the Pioneer BDP-HD1 and feeding a Sony G90 projector, the FC4 syncs up and displays all selectable output formats except 1080p. It doesn't appear that the FC4 is properly handshaking with the HDMI input and outputting valid video. The display flashes with a picture, but it's not watchable.


With the FC4 connected to the HDMI output of the Toshiba HD-XA2, the XA2 will only output 1080i. Unlike the Pioneer, the user cannot select a specific display format on the XA2, only a range. The HDMI receiving device then handshakes with the player to establish the highest resolution output. Since the FC4 does not negotiate a 1080p connection with the XA2, I assume that the FC4 does not handle 1080p.


Despite the lack of 1080p output, the 1080i output is very good. I haven't made any quantitative comparisons between the FC4 output and the YpBpR outputs of the players, but subjectively, they look identical. I switch back and forth between them with an Extron switcher and cannot detect any difference in resolution.


The bottom line is that as long as HD players continue to output 1080i video, there is no reason to purchase the FC4, or any converter that only outputs 1080i. I'm still looking for one that will do 1080p, but the 1080i picture is so good, my search has lost its urgency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Thanks a great deal...



In return as soon as I discover a box which does the trick I will keep you informed...



My experiences with 1080I from HD are the same as yours...I had 1080P for 30 minutes....and than.....click....1080I and 1080P never returned......


It seemed to look the same in a quick judgement.....ABSOLUTELY FAB...!!!!!


I MUST CORRECT your last sentence....even if you want to look 1080I outputted via the player or pc...you still need the converter to pass it thru to the CRT as such....without it (any naughty box) there will not be a handshake....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
You are correct if the source disk contains a copy protection flag that causes the player to inhibit 1080i via the component outputs. To date, no disks are being marketed (in the USA) that contain this flag, so 1080i is available without an HDMI handshake. That is what I meant by "as long as HD players continue to output 1080i video".


Is copy protection enabled on HD or BluRay disks sold in the Netherlands?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyadopter /forum/post/0


You are correct if the source disk contains a copy protection flag that causes the player to inhibit 1080i via the component outputs. To date, no disks are being marketed (in the USA) that contain this flag, so 1080i is available without an HDMI handshake. That is what I meant by "as long as HD players continue to output 1080i video".


Is copy protection enabled on HD or BluRay disks sold in the Netherlands?

unfortunately yesssss..
..none of my discs ........and I am not the one to search for nonflagged...worked so the waiting was for Johns box...


This gave a beautiful 1080I....unfortunately it did not give 1080P in my configuration.....so the waiting and searching is for a 1080P solution...


Funny enough everybody is advising a scaler...I in my ignorance think they are missing the point.....a player giving out 1080P.....use it as 1080I and scale it to progressive ......



No scaler for me if it is going to be solved it will be otherwise......or not at all,,,I can live with that...



No scanlines for me since I look at a 2.30 mtr ...7ft..picture at a distance of 4.50 mtr...say 13...14ft...
 

·
Read the FAQ!
Joined
·
36,618 Posts
Understand that not all displays that accept 1080i and display it as 1080p do a good job of this.


For most that do it "the simple way", the result is not that bad however. Since the resolution is already so high the artifacts are not nearly so noticeable as what you would see with equally poor de-interlacing of a 480i (SDTV) source. But the artifacts are there and can be seen in the right (or perhaps I should say wrong) sorts of scenes.


However that's not the end of the story. Some of these TVs do an absolutely GODAWFUL job of this. What they do, simply put, is throw away half of the vertical resolution in the course of de-interlacing 1080i to 1080p. That means what you actually see on these TVs is more like 540p.


The Secrets of Home Theater site exposed a bunch of these last year, some from major brand name manufacturers. As usual, if processing of any sort is needed, some companies will find a way to screw it up.


But yes, if both the interlacing and de-interlacing are done properly there is no information lost in turning 1080p/24Hz on the disc into 1080i/60Hz to the TV which then turns it into 1080p/30Hz (or more commonly /60Hz) for display.


Available soon will be TVs that display such a signal as 1080p/120Hz which is even better since 120 is a whole multiple of both 24 and 30 and thus you can display both film and video derived content at the same display refresh rate without introducing judder. However, if you feed such a TV 1080i/60Hz, 1080p/30Hz, or 1080p/60Hz there is an important processing step involved. The TV has to recognize that this "video rate" stream actually has "film rate" content embedded inside it. It does this by detecting the periodically repeated, interlaced half-frames (called fields) that were inserted earlier to raise the film rate to video rate, and removing them. The result is a pure, film rate, 1080p/24Hz stream which is then displayed at /120Hz by repeating whole frames 5 times each. And once, again, since processing is involved to get to that point, some manufacturers will undoubtedly find a way to screw this up, too.

--Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
So glad I found this thread.


I was skeptical at first but ended up purchasing the VisionFC4 on ebay due to the fact that the seller gave me a 90 day return policy and they have 100% positive feedback so I had nothing to lose.


Works great between my PS3 and PLUS U2-1130 projector with XGA resolution.

Also tried watching Blu ray dvds via the PS3, BINGO, works like a charm..


Thanks again

AL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can not find the VisionFC4 on eBay. Any help would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
915 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hello,

just go to ebay and type

HDMI to component video converter

on the search engine.


The visionfc4 is the black converter sold by seller name

specialty-av


They list in auction form but also in buy it now form, current ebay item # 330092064023


Hope this helps.

AL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73tr6 /forum/post/0


Hello,

just go to ebay and type

HDMI to component video converter

on the search engine.


The visionfc4 is the black converter sold by seller name

specialty-av


They list in auction form but also in buy it now form, current ebay item # 330092064023


Hope this helps.

AL

So this is EXACTLY(!) what I was looking for. With this I should be able to take a signal from the Oppo Digital DV-981HD DVD player, and via the HDMI output, put it into this box and then use components to my processor and up to my projector for a 1080i signal right? All for under $200!? I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. Thanks AL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser /forum/post/0


So this is EXACTLY(!) what I was looking for. With this I should be able to take a signal from the Oppo Digital DV-981HD DVD player, and via the HDMI output, put it into this box and then use components to my processor and up to my projector for a 1080i signal right? All for under $200!? I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. Thanks AL

It's an illegal device, but yeah, it allegedly will do it.


Wouldn't that make a great description on the eBay auction?


Trent
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
The last post was pretty old. I just found the item for sale on eBay. Search for "SP1080HD4,HDMI to RGB,VGA,YUV Component Video Converter".


Here is my question. I intend to use this box in between a DVD player that upconverts SD DVD's and does so through its HDMI output. The DVD player is not Internet connected. If all I do is play SD DVD's that are not encrypted with HDCP anyway, and there is no way for the player to get "updates" that might invalidate the device ID of the converter, am I safe?


Thanks,


Bernd
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top