AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I just built a component to VGA with Cat5e........ But I can't seem to get it to work. This is what I did:

Pin on 15 Pin VGA.......With cat5e

Pin1 Orange soldered to Center Red RCA

Pin2 Green soldered to Center Green RCA

Pin3 Blue soldered to Center Blue Rca

Pin6 Orange stripe soldered to Outer shield of Red Rca

Pin7 Green stripe soldered to Outer shield of Green RCA

Pin8 Blue stripe soldered to Outer shield of Blue RCA

the above is exactly the configuration I soldered.

I am trying to use this from my satellite to my Infocus X1.

I have also metered these out to be ok.

If anyone could help me to see what i am doing wrong that would be a great help Thank you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I assume you're following instructions like these: http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

I used these instructions to successfully make a 1' long component to vga adapter to connect my modded xbox to my old Panasonic 711xu projector.

The infocus support pages show only M1-DA (DVI) to component breakout for the X1a, though the X1 shows VGA to component, so it ought to work.

If you've tested with a multimeter, I think it leaves the potential problems down to three:

1) Broken projector input. Can you connect a std VGA cable to it successfully, perhaps from a computer source? You're not trying to connect this cable to the VGA out on the X1 are you?

2) Broken Component output source. Do you have another display that will accept a component signal to ensure that the source is working?

3) Stupid errors (no offense intended) in cable construction.

Using a multimeter to verify that VGA Pin1 connects to the center of the red component connecter doesn't rule out that it's also shorted across to Pin2. You may need to verify that Pin1 connects to CenterRed and that it also doesn't connect to anything else (Pin2 - Pin15 and OusideRed and Center/Outside Blue/Green and ground). Lotta connections to check unfortunately. You may be able to simplify the testing procedure by just making sure that none of the component connector elements are connected.

Also verify that you're using the correct pin numbers on the VGA connector - when deciding which is Pin1, were you looking at the front of the connector (where it will actually connect to the projector) or the back of the connector (where you will do the soldering)?

Did you attach the brown wires in the Cat5e to pins 4 and 5? I don't think omitting will cause any problems, but doesn't hurt to follow the instructions to the letter.

I can assure you that the cat5e to VGA thing does work (did for me anyway), so unless you're trying to do a very long cable (even 50' is claimed to work, but YMMV) I would think it would have to be one of the problems above.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does pin 6,7,8 need to be grounded together to the metal hood ????

I'm using a fta receiver component out to my infocus x1 direct. Would this be a problem or should It run through a upscaler first then to the projector ????

I ran my laptop through the projector no problem. Everything meters out ok.... stumped!!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Noodle /forum/post/0

does pin 6,7,8 need to be grounded together to the metal hood ????

This pic shows it best I think:

Pin 4 and 5 can be grounded together to the metal hood.

Pins 6, 7, and 8 need to be soldered to the Orange/White, Green/White, and Blue/White wires respectively.

The only difference between the diagram and what you originally described is that you didn't mention what pins 4 and 5 are doing - according to the diagram they can be grounded to the hood, or just connected to the brown wires (which aren't connected to anything on the RCA end).

So unless you've connected the wires to the wrong pins (mirror imaging it or something) it sounds like your cable is correct.

Which leaves the problem either at the X1 or the FTA receiver. I don't have a plethora of component display devices sitting around my house, and I imagine you, like most people, don't. This makes it kinda hard to test whether your FTA receiver is actually outputting a valid signal or not. The introduction of a scaler shouldn't make any difference I think.

On the X1 end, the ability to display your laptop via VGA is encouraging, but the VGA signal isn't exactly the same as a Component over VGA signal - I suppose it's possible that the X1 is faulty in some way such that it won't recognize the component signal.

There are some settings in the X1 menus for auto detecting signals and stuff - have you tried manually specifying the input type to use?

Good luck! I hate it when I do things right but they still don't work...

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
"How does it transcode? "

wiseguy.... you know better.... MANY pj's have a component mode on the RGB lines of the VGA Connector....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the help guys !!! Here's where I'm at.

I couldn't get the Component to VEGA w/ Cat5 to work on my Infocus x1. Either its the FTA receiver component out or problems with the Infocus X1(length is 40 ft). After metering and resoldering with no results, I changed the the ends to s-video using the same Cat5. It works but i do get slight vertical lines across the screen.

I have purchased an upscaler so Im hopeful that I will be able to get the VGA from the upscaler to the VGA on the Infocus X1 working properly.

I did test the VGA port on my Infocus with a laptop with no probs soooo the problem must stem to the Receiver.

Any other suggestion couldn't hurt at this point....... would an upscaler help ??????? specifically the centerstage cs1.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
An upscaler shouldn't make any difference (except for correcting a possible wiring error, that is, as pfennig pointed out - did you follow his diagram?). I've used a 35' VGA cable with my PJs and haven't had any problems (VGA to VGA). You do have to make sure that the sync signal is on the right pin, however (and I'm not sure which one that is - Component has sync on Y and VGA usually, but not always, has sync on Green).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.