AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
newbie question: my epson home 10 has component inputs, vga and s-video. My digital cable stb requires connection to the component inputs for hdtv. I assumed that I was forced to utilize s-video for my dvd player. Of course this eliminates the ability to receive progressive scan input from the dvd (although I am very satisfied with the s-video pq). After regularly viewing this forum I've convinced myself that I can still get progressive scan by using a component to vga connection. Is my assumption correct or am I misinterpreting what I have read? Thanks...

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vidsmart
I've convinced myself that I can still get progressive scan by using a component to vga connection. Is my assumption correct?
Yes, your assumption is correct.

If you were to use any sort of component/vga adapter, I'd suggest using it for the DVD as you want the HDTV receiver connection to have the highest bandwidth possible. An adapter probably wouldn't hurt it, but it definately wouldn't hurt the DVD's lower bandwidth requirement.

If you're okay with very slight signal degradation, then why not just get a component switcher and use that to switch between the DVD and HDTV receiver. I've been using the Radio Shack audio/video swithcher as a component switcher. I noticed the slightest degradation in PQ and felt I could live with it for the convenience of being able to use two component hookups with my X1.

Or, get a high-quality component switcher from www.hdtvsupply.com. Their component cables are surprisingly good for the money. I'm still impressed with my cable purchase from them. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.