AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new 32 Inch TV with both component and S-Video inputs, my cheap Apex DVD player does not have component output. I am wonder how much noticible difference is there between component input and S-Video when playing a DVD? Is it worth going out and getting a new DVD player or is it that only high-end videophiles would notice?

Andy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Using a very good s-video cable you will get around 80% of the performance potential of component video cable. So until you are ready to spend the money on a new DVD player buy a decent s-video cable and enjoy your new TV.

For performance above the Monster s-vid 3 level look at Nordost, Rhinocables, bettercables etc..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have not bought any cables yet, the TV does not officially get turned on until my birthday on Friday. I will check around for good cables.

Andy.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Actually unless you are dealing with runs of over 20' any shielded s-vid cable will do. The "benifits" of high end cables are still debatible. RadioShack, Audio Research, Wallmart all sell inexpensive short runs of s-video cable.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
RatShack Gold Series cables and Walmarts Philips Gold Series are almost the samething, sometimes Walmart maybe cheaper somethings RS will be cheaper. Although for 6' SVHS cables I believe Walmart is a few $$$ cheaper.

·
Premium Member
7,212 Posts
I tried a Radio Shack cable and a Lat international cable. They both looked different. I had to back the color down with the radio shack cable. So, I'd suggest anyone take a look for themselves before that decide that wire is wire. Also the Lat cable looked softer. I'm not making an argument that one is better than the other, but they are visibly different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.