AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a few progressive scan DVD players, and it struck me - why not use a component-to-VGA transcoder to feed the RGB input? Will this give a better picture than composite? Will this utilise the 31.75 kHz scan rate or is it just normal video?

I can't build an HTPC just yet, and want something cheap for the meanwhile. :cool:

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,590 Posts
Mark ,

-- that will work just fine [ not as good as an HTPC but you know that already ] . The Audio Authority model is much cheaper than the Key Digital model but the KD model has higher PQ from what many have reported . I have used the AA model and it produced a nice image from a Sony progressive player . The AA model sells for about $180.00 and the KD model is about $280.00 [ consider that once you get an HTPC you should have no problem selling the transcoder as they are in pretty high demand ] .

-- the progressive player with a transcoder will far surpass the composite input - No Comparison !

------ Best of Luck ,

------ Jason Berg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dear Jason,

I have a 1031qm and i'm using that with a htpc, but i'd like to prove using a dvd player progressive scan pal with component output and a transcoder component to rgb.

The last Audio Authority one is good for my case ? because i've read it's capable only 480P. And for 576P ?

Maybe i have to buy a sky digital transcoder (1080i) but the price is quite different.

Have you tested one of theese transcoder and/or do you know any similar products

Many thanks for all your great post about my/our vpr, they are very useful for me

Luca

·
Registered
16,590 Posts
Luca ,

-- I have used the Audio Authority transcoder on my 1031q and it worked great . You should not need the Key Digital if all you will be using is a Progressive DVD player .

--- Best of Luck ,

---- Jason Berg

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I have the Audio Authority transcoder and I paid $144. for it(brand new with all accessories) and I've used it with my HDTV receiver at 480p. 1080i, and 720p. It has EXCELLENT pq IMHO, and dual VGA outputs, personally I wouldn't waste my money on the more expensive Key Digital one.

·
Registered
341 Posts
thanks for that, now at $149 too.

can anyone else confirm that it handles 720p ???

not that I should worry being in the UK but would be nice for Xbox and maybe d-theater, as we dont seem to get HDTV anytime soon.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
How do transcoders handle anamorphic DVD material?? Can you setup for 16x9 with one???

Fred

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
To quote from the AA instruction sheet "The 9A62 is not a format converter. It passes the horizontal and vertical synchronization timings and pixel content to the outputs without modification. " This seems about as clear as it could be. You should be able to pass ANY component signal through this and it will simply come out RGBHV at the same synch and resolution.

My DTV HD reciever has selectable settings for 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i, and I can confirm ALL resolutions are passed seamlessly through the AA 9A62.

·
Registered
341 Posts
thanks gn2

it seems that some people have said the bandwidth on this transcoder isn't high enough to handle 720p, but if you have tried it and it works that is great.

I will order :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks all of you for the answers, but i received theese e- mail from two different shop on line about 9A62

COPPERBOX

"The 09A62 is not listed as PAL compatible.

You would need to purchase the Key Digital KD-CTCA2 to have this compatability. The price of the KD-CTCA2 is $279 + FedEx INternational Priority shipping"

DIGITAL CONNECTION

"The Audio Authority transcoders do not change the video signal, therefore if the incoming signal is 576p, it should output 576p. You may, however, have problems with the power supply which is 115V."

Why two answers so different ?

Luca

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
All I can offer is my own observations, I'm not a technician working for the company that makes the thing. I've seen it display 720p and I, personally, don't see any problem with the image. But what do I know ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
No, but I've just received the KD-XB (Key Digital X-Blaster) for use with an XBox. I wanted to see if it would work with the ScientificAtlanta 3100HD and my BG800 (Barco Graphics 800). The Copperbox guy said KD-XB wouldn't work, the folks at ScientificAtlanta say that only their transcoder works but TimeWarner won't supply me with one.

Guess what? It works! So here's another choice for all you HD Cable subscibers who only have RGBHV (VGA) inputs, who don't want to pay for the KD-CTCA2 (which is more flexible than the KD-XB.

DISCLAIMER: I've got a good picture, but I still have yet to use all the right cables and fully converge to see if I get a great picture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The KD-XB performs beautifully, but in my case the SA3100HD always sends a signal to it, even when the SA3100HD button is switched off.

This means that SA3100HD/Barco users cannot take advantage of the autoswitching feature. You actually have to pull the plug of the SA3100HD to prevent if from sending some kind of signal to the KD-XB.

Guess this is the price you pay when you use something for other than it's tested intended use. For me, it's back to the drawing board to find a way to transcode and switch between my HTPC and my HDTV Cable box.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The AA passed all HD just fine in my system, but left a white band at the top of the image that I attribute to macro-vision. You can disable macrovision with a pot inside the AA, but turned all the way down the white discoloration was still visible. It was improved, but still there. The Key Digital exhibits no such behavior. I actually have it for sale if anyone is interested.

Cheers

Andrew B.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Okay, big DUH for me, but maybe this'll help somebody else.

2 posts up I was having trouble with my Setup box input to the KD-XB cause the SA3100HD always sent some kind of signal to the KD-XB, thus leaving the signal always switched to the SA3100HD.

My Yamaha receiver has two component inputs and one component out.

I'm using this to turn off the signal (not switch to another. Looks something like this:

SA3100 ----> (comp input 1) Yamaha Receiver

Nothing ----> (comp input 2) Yamaha Recever

|

|

HTPC ----->

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.