Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

I just bought a Kenwood audio receiver but didn't get "Component Switching" on the model I bought. Problem is I have an HDTV with 2 component "in" and audio reciever with only 1 digital audio "in". I have 3 devices that use component and digital audio: HTPC, DVD and soon a HD Set top box.

I can't be the only one with this limitation? What are you doing...short of me having to buy anohter audio reciever with component switching (anybody want to buy a good "barely" used receiver...) ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
A cheap solution is a small a/b switch for composite video/audio. The length of the curcuit inside of these is small enough usually not to have a noticable effect on the image. You would probably have more of a signal loss because of the increase in cable lengths outside, one run from component to switcher one run from switcher to display. Id say connect your most high end item direct, and the other two (im guesing one is a ps2?) to the switcher. Small cheap ones can be had for 15 and decent ones less that 30

·
Registered
904 Posts
ciper's tact is about the only inexpensive way to go. In addition to the composite A/V switch (whose Video+R/L would switch your component video), you'd also need a digital audio switch for the optical cables or another A/V switch for digital coax audio.

There are switchers out there (Extron comes to mind) that will do HD video and digital audio switching all in one box, but they are far more expensive than a new receiver would be. Extron also has units that will aggregate your formats into a single preferred format. So, if you have VGA/RGB in on your monitor you can give the switcher s-video, component, and RGB and it will put it all out as RGB or component.

There is no easy and inexpensive solution.

jake

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.