AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this is not exactly the correct forum to post this to...

On my Toshiba Cinemaseries TV, the component video connection is labeled "Colorstream HD-1" and "Colorstream HD-2." I have my DVR hooked up to my Onkyo S780 receiver via component video and did the same with my TV. Then when I turned it on, the picture looked pretty fuzzy. There was a large noticeable difference between the way it looked versus the way I had it prior with just the standard composite video connection.

Any ideas why the picture would look so fuzzy? Am I missing a setting somewhere? Do I have to have HDTV to make it look normal? It is an HDTV, but we don't have the HDTV service from the cable company. if I can't get this to look right, I guess I'll go a step lower and use S-Video. If I do that, does the type of video connection from the DVR to receiver and TV to receiver have to be the same i.e. both S-video, or can the DVR be component and the TV be S-video?

Thanks, I need help!

·
Super Moderator
18,507 Posts
Standard TV on an HDTV (especially if you're talking digital cable or satellite) can look pretty bad. The already-compressed picture has to be upconverted. By using the component cables, you're making the cable box do the upconverting. Using composite or S-video makes the TV do the upconverting. In a lot of cases, the TV does a better job than the STB. But, yeah, to take full advantage of your HDTV, you'll want an HDTV source.

Doc

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Each input has separate picture settings. I would check the contrast. High contrast will distort the image.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
Standard TV on an HDTV (especially if you're talking digital cable or satellite) can look pretty bad. The already-compressed picture has to be upconverted. By using the component cables, you're making the cable box do the upconverting. Using composite or S-video makes the TV do the upconverting. In a lot of cases, the TV does a better job than the STB. But, yeah, to take full advantage of your HDTV, you'll want an HDTV source.

Doc

Thanks Dr Don. As our cable company only offers 3 channels in HDTV at the current time, I guess I'll go with the S-Video for now. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
18,507 Posts
A lot of us bought gear when DirecTV only offered 3 channels (HDNet, HBO and Showtime) and no special hardware deals. And I don't think any of us who did were the least bit disappointed. Not trying to sell you anything, but once you've seen HDTV, that's about all you'll watch. If nothing else, look into the OTA boxes. OTA is free and there really is quite a lot of HDTV content.

Doc

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon
A lot of us bought gear when DirecTV only offered 3 channels (HDNet, HBO and Showtime) and no special hardware deals. And I don't think any of us who did were the least bit disappointed. Not trying to sell you anything, but once you've seen HDTV, that's about all you'll watch. If nothing else, look into the OTA boxes. OTA is free and there really is quite a lot of HDTV content.

Doc

I guess I'm not familiar with OTA. Do you have a link handy? Also, if I did end up getting HDTV from the cable company, what happens when I try and watch a channel that is not in HD? Will I get the same degraded video performance I am now with the component video cables?

·
Super Moderator
18,507 Posts
OTA=over the air. There are STBs that pick up the digital signals of your local affiliates through the use of ordinary teleivison antennas. You can search all over the Hardware forum for many links to different models of OTA STBs. Probably talking a couple hundred dollars. Less if you do the ebay or open-box route. Many AVSers have discovered all sorts of deals. Check antennaweb.org to see what kind of antenna you need and your local thread in the Local HDTV Reception forum area to see which of your local stations are doing what.

As for cable, you can do what I do. I use the cable box for HDTV, but I also have the cable going directly to the TV and use its internal tuner to tune the analog channels. Like you, my TV does a better job with standard channels than the cable box does.

Doc

·
Super Moderator
18,507 Posts
Anytime. Never hesistate to ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HELP! I just got a DVI cable that goes from my HDTV cable box to my wide screen HDTV. When I do that the picture is really fuzzy. The picture on the regular cable is alot better than the cable going to the DVI. What can I do?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
OTA also looks a lot better then sat. I've found the directtv OTA box has a funky tunner (the H10 anyway). My box has massive overscan. I know its the box becase other signals look good. I think it has somthing to do with the self corecting feture sence their will always be more info to all side the tvs trying to compnsate but can't.

But I've also found with commponet that std signals look crappy becacse the tv has poor upconversion. I just have my h10 hooked up by both componet and svid I use svid for all but hd. Then if a HD signal is up I switch over.

Watch a few football games in HD man those look amazing. I think that's one of the best night and day comparisions try a side by side veiw of hd football vs analog football. Not digatal thow. the real NTSC signal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.