AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of a component video cable do you guys use with your plasmas? BB has Acoustic Research cables for a good price. Are those any good? Does it make sense to purchase a higher end monster cable? Would i see a significant increase in PQ?

Thanks

·
Registered
491 Posts
sandtrapppp - I use AR cables...some will argue passionately either way for quality cables (Monster Cable vs...). I would do a search on cables and read up. Personally, you might as well start simple/cheap and work your way up if need be.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am in the process of making some cables... I will compare them with some Acoustic Zen Photon Component cables which are about $264. But many people swear by cables made from Belden 1695A or Belden 1506A with Canare True 75 ohm RCA or BNCs.

Jon

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Markertek.com sells all sorts of video cables based on the Belden 75-ohm stock and industrial-quality connectors at VERY reasonable prices, e.g 15ft RCA to BNC is $13.99. They sell tons of this stuff to broadcasters and studios, and everything we watch has already gone through a lot of it, so I fail to see the reasoning behind spending $100s on tweak cables for the last 5 or 10 feet. I get beautiful results using these cables for all video and audio connections.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slarsky - Have you compared your AR cables with the monster cables or any other brand? Did you notice a big difference?

Spoffo - Thanks for the website. Im gonna check it out right now.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I use Radio Shack A/V Fusion cables and have no complaints....and they were not that expensive compared to monster.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
I had an AR cable for sd cable video from VCR to Plasma and I switched to Monster cable and noticed deeper colors and brighter picture overall and will now have to use AVIA to recalibrate the Plasma input to this new cable.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jonlax
.. with Canare True 75 ohm RCA ...

Jon
According to some, this is an oxymoron.

John Flegert

·
Registered
158 Posts
fusion a/v's from the shaq, er the shack, radio shack that is!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sandtrapppp
What kind of a component video cable do you guys use with your plasmas?
Gotta use the search feature. This is a subject that appears regularly, and has been thoroughly discussed.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I'm using a Fusion cable from Radio Shack. For no particular reason than I got lazy, didn't order the 12 foot long component cable I was going to, then got all my equipment mounted in its new home and needed the cable to finish it off. Otherwise, I'd have gotten a cheaper cable.

I'm still annoyed I didn't plan better and had to buy a 2 meter MonsterCrap DVI cable for $99 so I had something. My 5 meter one only cost about $45 (ordered online, and not MonsterCrap). After that one, MonsterCrap will never see another dime from me. Totally ridiculous pricing for what you get.

(Oh, BTW, I don't care for Monster cables :D)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
I'm using a Fusion cable from Radio Shack. For no particular reason than I got lazy, didn't order the 12 foot long component cable I was going to, then got all my equipment mounted in its new home and needed the cable to finish it off. Otherwise, I'd have gotten a cheaper cable.

I'm still annoyed I didn't plan better and had to buy a 2 meter MonsterCrap DVI cable for $99 so I had something. My 5 meter one only cost about $45 (ordered online, and not MonsterCrap). After that one, MonsterCrap will never see another dime from me. Totally ridiculous pricing for what you get.

(Oh, BTW, I don't care for Monster cables :D)
so how do ya like the fusions?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by biggstuu
so how do ya like the fusions?
They're fine. A bit bulkier than I'd prefer (about the same as a 2 meter Monster cable I also had bought when I got the $99 DVI cable). But I guess they have to make it seem like you're getting something more for your money, right?

Many threads ago, someone went into greater specifics about cable and connector specifications... you know, the sort of technical specs that you really don't care to know... but in the end, someone made a comment of "for just a couple of feet, you could probably use coat hangars to connect the component video and do just fine." I swear I have this urge to go buy some wire hangars and hook it up this way and take a picture, just so whenever a Monster cable discussion comes up, I can post it. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.