Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just 4 questions...

1. Is it possible to run a component video cable 50' to 75' to a tv with a good picture?

2. If you had two 25' cables, how would you hook them together (connectors, adaptors) to get one 50' cable?

3. Is there a limit on component cable length and quality?

4. Can you get the parts to make your own cables?

5. Do you think Oswald acted alone?(ignore that one)

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
1. yes, with good cable. By this, I mean rg59 quality cable. The limiting factor would be the output stage of your component device. I would use a component video amplifier, ideally terminated bnc connectors.

2. I wouldn't. Definetly not with rca connectors at the splice point.

3. The limit is based on your component output amplifier

4. Sure.

5. Yes. Read Case closed

·
Registered
472 Posts
Randy,

I am using home-made component cables of 50 ft length from my HDTV tuner to my DILA G-15 and the PQ is outstanding. I purchased 150 ft of quad-shield RG6 (long cable runs are better with RG6 than RG59), crimped on F-connectors on each end and purchased F to RCA adapters all for less than $40. I did not have to use any amplification for this length of run.

Rick

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THanks much. Probably go with rg6. Its $13 x 100' at Menards. I already use it for my sat tv dish-miltiswitch-dtivo's and it works fine. I'll have to find those F-rca ends.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm new here, so maybe this discussion has been done before, but have you considered Cat 5 as the wire, and using the little cat 5 to component boxes on each end? Plus you can use hubs to transfer video to other places in the future.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Plus you can use hubs to transfer video to other places in the future.
No. Ethernet hubs only work with IEEE 802.3 ethernet frames, not analog signals.

·
Registered
654 Posts
 http://www.cyberguys.com/ this site has a video extender that allows the transmission of PC XVGA output up to 1024X768 via CAT-5 cable with length up to 500 feet. CAT-5 cable consists of 4 twisted pairs of wire. It can be used with any electrical signals, digital as well as analog.

·
Registered
72 Posts
But RG6 and RG59 have a 75 ohm impedance, and won't reflect high freqency signals if properly terminated. Twisted pair's a crap shoot - depending on it's geometry it may work really well and may not work at all for applications that specify a specific different cable type. Best bet is stick to 75 ohm video cable for video signals terminated with a 75 ohm impedance.

Best of luck,

John

·
Registered
9 Posts
MF70,

The cat5 video extender was the worst money I ever spent. Our media lab is about 25 feet in lenth. Add about 8 feet to wrap around the test bench and rear of the receiver cabinet. BAd BAd BAd.

As John said, a crap shoot at best. If you really want to gamble, I'll let mine go for 1/2 price! Caveat Emptor

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
I haven't had much luck with cat-5 extenders either. There's a thread on people using shielded cat-5 successfully.

But why screw around. The "right" way to do this is to use standard rg-59 cable. RG6-Quad Shield is probably overkill, but the cable cost is cheap, so why not. Just use rg-6, terminated with f-connectors or bnc

·
Registered
382 Posts
Just wanted to give my experience with long component runs...

I used 25 feet of gold plated RG59 w/ gold F to RCA connecters (x 3)...works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.