Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am getting a Toshiba 50 HDX82 delivered next week. I still have to get component video cable for my DVD player (non-progressive scan). The sales rep at future shop says I should get this "Acoustic Research MS291 6 ft. Master Component Video Cable" which runs $130 CAN (~$80US). This seems like a lot just for a cable.

Will you actually notice a difference in PQ between this cable and something 1/2 the price?

thanks.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Last year, with a Sony 560 interlaced DVD player, I did not notice a difference between $30 6' AR component cables and $90 2m Monster 3 component cables.

On the other hand, an article I read on the Internet back then indicated that there is a definite discernible difference between Better Cables (a sponsor of this Web site) and cheaper brands. They're a bit more $$ than Monster 3, but based on the article, it might be worth your money.

6' component cables under $100 US are likely not going to be a major improvement over $30 AR cables. Monster makes higher-priced models that are supposed to be better than Monster 3, and maybe you ought to buy a couple high$$ sets and a cheap set, and use a 30-day return policy to test for yourself. Make sure you can return them.

Use a DVD with a test pattern, resolution graph, convergence grid, etc., to compare sharpness, brightness, and color separation or whatever you think you want to look for to compare cables.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Buy the house brand from partsexpress.com they look to be made by Monster cable or are very good clones. I'm very happy with their cables.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another reputable custom cable maker worth looking at is RhinoCables.com

They are also located in Canada which will probably save you some money. The cables they use offer a marked improvement over Monster 3 for less.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you live in the US and you want a really good cable I would go with Better Cables. If you live in Canada I would look else where, their shipping to Canada is a little crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.