AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know about the chips aboard an Aurora Igniter? See info .

Or the Pinnacle Systems DC50? See info .

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The price of the Aurora Igniter starts at $1149 and that's just for a version of the card with composite and S-Video inputs. To add component input, the next cheapest card configuration is $3,099. Ouch... Those prices are not consumer friendly.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
klimekt: we're not talking about using Pinnacle drivers. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Joe: thanks. I didn't know that the component option cost that much more. Ouch, indeed.

Anybody have chip manifests? Documetation? I want to push this forward in at least a slightly intelligent manner. If I have to, I'll buy the DC50 that's listed on e-bay for $350 (edit: was $350 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ).

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
493 Posts
Dan,

I'm curious, is your desire for component out to eliminate the transcoder? Or do the Aurora and Pinnacle produce better picture quality?

I have a Sony Sony KV-32XBR400 , a direct view HDTV that supports 1080i (hence 540p). I imagine a transcoder introduces some signal degradation, so I'd rather avoid it. Plus, a simpler solution is better, right? Oops, forgot we're talking HTPC here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

..Mike

------------------

Newbie snacks in xcel's HTPC FAQ & Favorites ¤ Ron Jones ¤ DC ¤ Radeon ¤ Keohi HDTV ¤ Don O'Brien D-ILA and the oft-mentioned archives .

Join AVSforum team to help Scotty (son of AVS moderator) fight leukemia.

[This message has been edited by miksmi (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I'm curious, is your desire for component out to eliminate the transcoder?"

I'm talking component in, not component out. The possibilities of acquiring 480i or 480p video are quite interesting to me.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
493 Posts
Why aren't component out video cards like the Sigma Designs NetStream 2000 considered ( $205 USD ) by the cognoscenti? Believe me, I've searched high and low for that answer and as I said, it seems a transcoder complicates the solution. Reseach I've done:

The NetStream 2000's intrigue is EM9010 24-bit DAC http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif and component video out, eliminating a transcoder to convert VGA (RGBHV) to Component (YPrPb) video. It is delivered via an S-video-to-Component pigtail cable/dongle (1 to 3 connectors). See page 13 of the manual , also specs .

Thanks for any insight.

..Mike

[This message has been edited by miksmi (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Dan, I think DC50 is using same chip as DC30, Zoran by Philips(704x480).

only different is that DC50 has component input and DC30 S only.

if you interested i have DC30 for sale it is in very good working order.

Best regards Artur.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you be a kind soul and tell me what the # is on your Zoran chip? Is it the ZR36120? ZR36125? Can you see the Philips chip SAA7110? SAA7111?

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot. Some other chips I wouldn't be surprised to see include the ZR36067, ZR36050, ZR36016, and VPX3220.

If the card includes a breakout box, I would be interested. Please drop me a line at [email protected] with a quote.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"Why aren't component out video cards like the Sigma Designs NetStream 2000 considered ($205 USD) by the cognoscenti?"

I don't know. If you can explain the reason, obviously you will be one of the cognoscenti. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Sorry, that's all the insight I can offer.

------------------

Dan

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Dan, you where wright, ZR360165QC, ZR36050PQC, ZR36057PQC,MIRO FST96A, AD18433S SOUNDCOMM. Sorry but I don't have break out box but I have VTR controller that works wit it thru cam port and is comparable with Panasonic 5 pin remote and control L, All for $250 plus copy of premiere.

At 4.5MB/s video has excellent quality and you don't need a sound card.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
artur: thanks for the detailed chip list. Let me check my notes. Just to be clear, is this the plus or regular DC30?

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
850 Posts
miksmi:

I'll take a stab at that NetStream 2000 thingy:

The NetStream 2000 is a HW MPEG decoder card. With the NetStream 2000, you're limited to the software player that comes out from Sigma Designs. You cannot use WinDVD/PowerDVD.

Until someone can do a comparison, the 8-bit DAC (24-bit total for RGB) should be inferior to Radeon's 10-bit DAC (30-bit for RGB). This is spec-wise, an excellent 8-bit implementation of anything can be made better than an inferior 10-bit implementation.

It still uses analog overlay, which can degrade the 2D/Desktop display of the RGB output - might be a detriment for those people that uses their HTPC for purposes other than DVD playback.

I'm trying to look at the specs, and it seems that you cannot output a computer resolution through the S-Video/Component out; You can output the decoded dvd display, but not the desktop, and it seems that you're limited to only 480p and 720p - not good for people with XGA LCD/DLP and DILA.

For people that has HDTV RPTV, and is willing to get 480p and 720p, why bother with HTPC implementation since you can get a progressive scan DVD player for about $500 without all the hassles of HTPC. Of course, it doesn't do 720p.

Ciao.

Muljadi Budiman.

------------------

Ciao.

Muljadi Budiman

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I have been curious for some time if the Sony pro editing standards are actually what we call component video today. If this is true, there is alot of used component video manipulation equipment out on e-bay right now. does anyone know if this is possible?

As for 480p DVD players. They don't do 1800x1200p, do they now. So, they are no good for me.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Dan. I don't think there is any differences between DC30 and DC30 plus as far as hardware is concern. originally it was different software bundle but gnaw it is one driver and software for all DC30 family the pro adds break out box and DC50 component IO.I didn't check macrovision. I use it with my old Hi8 camera that I replaced with digital.There is $20 box that is wiping out macrovision.

best regards Artur.

[This message has been edited by artur (edited 05-03-2001).]

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"As for 480p DVD players. They don't do 1800x1200p, do they now. So, they are no good for me."

That's why I'm talking capture cards.

artur: another question. Does the DC30 exhibit macrovision problems?

------------------

Dan

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.