AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this was answered before, I’ve read the FAQ’s and a search for ,Component Video turned up many threads but slightly different issues. I’m still a little unsure if I’m out of luck.

I’ve just come home with my 3rd ReplayTV, this one, a 5040 model. All hocked up OK but I’m having a problem with the Component Video output selection. I’ve selected the Component Setting YPbPr_ANSI selection within the Video Output Selection menu and connected the Component cable from the “YPrPb†out to the DVD In “YPrPb†on the TV. Unfortunately, I get a distorted output.

The TV specs state the YPrPb input as:

DVD Component video inputs 480i

Display format (480i)

Maximum horizontal resolution (800)

Some of the threads mention ReplayTV’s YPrPb output as 480p, I’m guessing this is for progressive, and the 480i is interlaced…

If so, am I out of luck using the YPrPb output connection to my TV?

(The S-Video works fine but I’ve read YPrPb are better)

The replay Support FAQ’s mentioned something about these being disabled during setup, however, I’m guessing this was prior to me changing the Component Setting mentioned above and rebooting the Replay.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
58 Posts
Correct, you are out of luck. The 5000 only does progressive from the component outputs (hence the YPbPr and not YCbCr). Just use the SVideo. There's not THAT much to be gained in going from SVideo to interlaced component anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
crayf did state he's hooking YPrPb to YPrPb, so it's not a component vs progressive issue.

You might want to go through the menu of your HDTV to make sure progressive is selected. Also, I was using the progressive inputs with my Samsung tv, but found the replaytv deinterlacing left some interlace lines across black edge lines in animation (Home Movies specifically) I'm happier at this time with svideo.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by JustPatrick
(hence the YPbPr and not YCbCr)
Thanks folks,

The YPbPr vs. YCbCr comment was a little confusing at first because as mentioned my TV clearly has inputs labeled YPbPr and not YCbCr. However, it gave me enough to go searching for more...

I called the manufacture and they stated the TV only did 480i and DID NOT do 480p. It seems that 480p is synonymous with HD ready, or digital, and my TV is listed as an Analog Flat Screen.

It is completly clear that "I am out of luck"

Now that my woody is deflated... I am now only confused why the jacks on the TV are labeled YPbPr and not YCbCr.

Thanks again for the help...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.