AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new Insignia 22" 1080p NS-L22X-10A. I figured I would test all the inputs while I have 30 days to return it. The Component Video 1 and 2 produce a very washed out image, no black level. I tried 2 different DVD players, a Sony DVP-NS325 and an LG RC199H. The Sony had an adjustment in its menu to lower the black level, it worked, the LG did not, and I had to really lower the Brightness to use Component video inputs. Both DVD work well with CRT tv sets. Is it common for Component video to be too light with LCD monitors, anyone seen this?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
When you say component are you referring to the red/green/blue cables or the yellow composite. People often mix them up. If it's the yellow composite, it won't work well on any HD tv. If it's the r/g/b component it should work well given an HD source.

So get an HD source and use the r/g/b cable and see how that works. If it's still bad, upgrade the quality of the brand, Insignia are bottom of the barrel tvs. Maybe Vizio if you can afford it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
R/G/B RCA cables Component video. Composite actually was OK with black level. I may try an HDTV tuner into it as an experiment, see if it's too light at my original brightness setting. The Vizio 22" had loss of detail issues I could see in the Target store. Thankfully, there are 3 weeks left on return policy. The other 22" on the market lack as many inputs, lack outputs for audio, or are 720P (I could tell up close).

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: My neighbor got a Philips 19" LCD, it acts the same way on the Component inputs, using the same DVD player. That must be why my Sony DVD players have a Black Level on/off for each set of video outputs. Off fixes the problem by lowering the black level from the DVD player. My LG DVD player puts out the lighter signal with no player adjustment. That player works well with the HDMI, however. I wonder why the LCD TV Component inputs "want" the darker signal..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts