AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am considering a video card upgrade, possibly to a X1950pro (I'm still running AGP). Currently I have a Radeon 9800Pro and I'm using an ATI-specific adaptor to get component video out of the DVI connector. If I upgrade my video card, I still want to use component, because my TV has problems with custom resolutions over DVI. How can I add component to one of these newer cards? I don't think my adaptor will work, it is specifically for the 9000 series.

I ran across a product like this after googling --
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3176

...but it's not clear if this would work with a card like the X1950Pro and if I could do custom resolutions.

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Laquer, that URL doesn't work!

drjaymez, I am not knowledgeable about HDCP. How will it help me to get component video to my HDTV?

For the sake of argument, I have a Dell 400sc machine (2.4ghz Pentium 4-ish) with 1 gb of ram, running XP Pro. Current video card is a Radeon 9800Pro, using an adapter and driving component video to my Panasonic PT-50LC13 running at a custom resolution of 1200x675 configured by PowerStrip.

I just want to find the most appropriate way to upgrade my video card (AGP slot) but still retain the ability to run this resolution over component. With DVI I couldn't run it at the custom resolution I need to avoid overscan. Thanks for any help!

I'm only interested in gaming with this setup, no need to worry about hddvd, bluray, etc, etc.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
when you say "a little more capable" what do you want it to do? Are you playing video games or just playing back dvd's, and other media?

If so right now any Nvidia 7600GS AGP will be MORE than enough and will give you better support for hooking up to an HDTV than ATI.

ATI has its high points and all that but Nvidia has definately shined and came out the front runner in terms of hooking PC's up to wide screen HDTV displays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130076

thats a perfect card for what you want/need to do, and its cheap to boot.

- Josh

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's great, and the 7600GS might be what I'm looking for. But it would be nice to have a couple more options that can do component video out-of-the-box. Even if another option is more expensive, it would be nice to have it for consideration, but since a few cards do component, with an included cable, but many do not, it would be great to have a list of sorts. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Best bet is just to go to newegg, search for 7600GT, 7800GS which are the only two higher end nvidia models that are in AGP format and look at the pics to see what else it out there.

Not sure why you want something more expensive? Expensive DOESN'T guarantee that it'll be better.

- Josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.