AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any idea when or if we will ever get a video card that has component video outputs onboard?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Perhaps I'm confused, in which case I'll appreciate being corrected, but I believe that VGA 3-row D-connectors carry R, R return, G G return, B, B return, H sync and V sync signals. To my mind, that is the definition of component signals.

It may be necessary to use a transcoder box, like the Audio Authority 9A60, if you require Y, Pr, and Pb inputs (and the combined sync gets carried at least on Y).

Almost all modern graphics cards have the VGA connector. Isn't the Canopus card shown in the link that POLARIS posted is just an AGP graphics card? I see it also has a digital output connector, but that wasn't the question, was it?

Proudx:

Were you perhaps asking about a tuner or video capture card?

-yogaman

·
Registered
46 Posts
As you may see in the photo, the canopus daughter card has a regular D-sub 3 row VGA terminal as well as a D.terminal, which is something quite different. It is a connector intended to pack Y, Pb, and Pr (or Cb, Cr) in to one for the ease of use. No transcoder (which inevitably degrades the signals) is thus needed.

·
Registered
848 Posts
So you're saying it produces both RGB and YPrPb signal sets, but there's no transcoder? Please explain how it outputs both sets without translating one to the other, also know as, transcoding.

If transcoding is done on-board, I'm not sure that the ground found in a PC is going to produce a substantially cleaner signal than an external box. But if you have one, and if you've compared it to an external transcoder device, I bow to your authority.

-yogaman

·
Registered
61 Posts
Please see the following previous topics as a jumping off point for further reading.

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/010471.html
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/007448.html
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/010174.html

And Conexant chosen to drive XBox HDTV output http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/009095.html

The SSH-HDTV daughterboard produces both standard RGB-VGA output and Component Video output at the same time. The Component Video output (YPbPr) is available from the Japanese D Terminal. Using the proper cable this is connected to anything requiring YPbPr Component In. The SSH stands for Signal Super Highway and is Canopus' method for ensuring the highest quality signal possible at the output.

I don't own one but am thinking seriously about picking up the combination of the daughterboard and possibly the Spectra 8800 (Geforce 2 Ultra). Only thing holding me back is price and lack of Geforce 3 availability with daughter board.

------------------

Tom Clowers

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, I just wanna play my games @ 1080i on my wega XBR400. I have tried the Audio authority vga to component video converter and it doesn't look good to me.

Where can I buy one of these daughtercards and where can I find a d4 out to rca componenet video cable.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by proudx:
I have tried the Audio authority vga to component video converter and it doesn't look good to me.
If it doesn't look good to you it's probably not because of the AA transcoder (unless you have a defective unit). There are many many forum members using this unit with satisfactory results. I have a Mits. 55857 RPTV (which accepts either YPrPb or RGBHV) and have tried it both with and without the transcoder and can't see any significant difference in visual quality. It would be nice though to not have to use a transcoder for simplicity's sake. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
151 Posts
Polaris,

It says that it supports 525p and 750p, Does that mean it converts to that resolution or do you have to set that resolution on your video card drivers. I am fairly new to this and have not had the best luck with getting a good 720p signal onto my panasonic rptv. I can get it but I really have to play with the timings just like everybody else.

If this were easier than more people might go for it.

also can I buy this from the USA?

John

------------------

John crawford

[email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for posting the question because this is one of the main reasons I periodically check this forum. You would think with the growing number of HDTV's with component inputs out there that somebody would make a pc video card with 1080i/540p component output. What's wrong with ATI? Nvidia/Microsoft are going to have the xbox running component out and I am really not wild about trying to set up a pc with all of the T&R's associated with the AA converter. Does anybody know anything about the economics of placing such a card on the market?

Chris

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree the Audio Authoritys quality is just not there. I would like to see 1024X768 resolutions output @ 1080I with no overscan or underscan. Just live the svideo output sends out 800X600 images @ 480I I would like some component video card to send out an inspec 1080I signal @ different resolutions up to 1024X768

·
Registered
46 Posts
The daughter card comes with a special driver which lets you select 525p and 720p modes. The resolution can be selected from the below:

525p

640~416

640~480

720~400

720~416

720~480

720p

800~600

1024~640

1152~640

1280~720

Canopus' site says that the image may over or underscan, and that they do not guarentee that it works perfectly with any HDTV. The models which were tested are listed on the page I linked above. Take a look at this one as well:
http://nifty.amikai.com/amiweb/brows...langpair=2%2C1

I must confess that I have never owned this card for myself (I use a projector with RGB input). Nor have I come across any reviews which compaired the output of this card to an external transcoder. But there is a strong consensus among PC-freaks in Japan that Canopus makes the best GeForce cards (although expensive).

Just for your information, there is another card with component out. This one has the regular 3RCA-YPbPr output cable included in the package.
http://nifty.amikai.com/amiweb/brows...langpair=2%2C1

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's great news POLARIS.

Thanks for the information. With a July release date I have a couple of months to save up for it! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif And to find someone who can make the purchase for me.

------------------

Tom Clowers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh boy a lively thread, I am new

on the AVS forum. I plan to buy a

analog Panasonic on thursday. I need to know since it has a component input, can I hook up a computer using a board with the Component or would a good $130 vga adapter be better for maximum resolution. I don't plan to buy a computer for a while, for I am computer illiterate.

------------------

"smiles are contagious, be a carrier" :) Tony

·
Registered
61 Posts
You won't need either for a while since you don't plan to purchase a computer right away.

------------------

Tom Clowers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.