AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Sony WEGA KV-32FS13 TV and use Direct TV with the H23-600 HD box.

When using the composite video and S-Video connection from the Direct TV box, all is well.

However, when I attempt to use the component video inputs, all I get is diagonal tearing across the screen.

I have changed cables and disconnected all other video inputs on the set as well as the S-Video output from the box to no avail.

Any suggestions to resolve this issue will be appreciated.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,493 Posts
I don't believe that is one of Sony's HighScan sets, therefore it will not accept an HD input. The component output of the HD box will have to be limited to an SD resolution.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I took a look at the front of the Direct TV box and noticed that the light under 480P was iluminated on the right side of the box.

I pressed the "Res" button and the light moved. When it got to 480i, the picture was unscrambled.

Next, I went into the Setup menu for the box and changed the Native Resolution setup from "On" to "Off". This assures that the Direct TV box will use the last resolution setting upon restart.

Since I had left the original connection on the S-Video on the TV (Display 1), I used a pair of Y jacks to split the audio feed between Display 1 and Display 4. I could then switch between the two inputs to compare the video quality. (I use a switch box with an S-Video output to handle my video tape and DVD output and I wanted to maintain that flexibility)

Viewing the Olympic speed skating event, it was clear that the colors on the walls of the rink, as well as the colors on the Spandex outfits of the skaters, were noticeably richer using the component video input compared to the S-Video.

Thanks again for setting me on the right track!

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I've been thinking about moving to an HD panel. However, after reading about LCD's dim blacks, juddering and smearing on movement and plasma image burn, fading black and buzzing screens, I have decidely mixed feelings about making the move.

Perhaps I've been spoiled, but I've gotten 8+ years of trouble-free service from the Sony and that was preceeded by 6 happy years of a Toshiba that I only got rid of to move to a larger screen.

For all the years that LCD / plasma /LED have been around, it looks a lot like too much of popular technology e.g. cell phones: great when they work, but expect dropped calls, crappy sound and high costs.

Certainly there is a powerful lure and definite benefits to HD: my vision isn't that bad. But, before I pull the trigger, I want to raise the odds as high as possible in favor of getting a consistent, reliable experience that I can afford.

In the meantime, I'm not all that unhappy with what I have...

· Registered
24,036 Posts
CRT's can have fading blacks, burn in and buzzing also.

As an adult, I've had two primary standard CRT's since 1976. I purchased my first CRT HDTV in 2002 and never looked back.

I also have an Olevia 32" LCD for the bedroom and it beats my old Magnavox 19" and RCA 20" CRT's hands down.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting, Ratman.

While I know that CRT's can have problems, I have been free of them for a very long time (knock wood).

So far as I can tell, new CRT HDTV's are no longer available for purchase and so, that option is no longer extant for me.

Inevitably, my Sony will develop problems and then I'll have to do something.

In the meantime, I keep building in the pieces I'll want when that happens: an Oppo BD-80 should be arriving in the next few days and I am wait-listed for an Emotiva UMC-1, which will replace my NAD T-163 (which is only used for audio at the present time).

I wish you continued enjoyment with what you have.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, man!

I didn't know anything about that technology until your comment and I don't know whether to thank you.

The worst thing about technology is that it's invariably improving the most just as you finally get off the fence and complete your purchase.

I'll be waiting along with you - hoping that my CRT lasts long enough for this to actually become an affordable reality.

Thanks ?!?!

· Registered
3 Posts
I don't like flatscreens, they use modules or plug-in boards.

These boards can be expensive to replace.

This concept was tried many years ago, first was Quaser tv and then RCA & Zenith starting making sets with modules.

The idea was ease of repair, if the power supply failed you just removed it and installed a new board.

Well it got to be a hassle to stock all those modules and some were quite expensive. After a few years they stopped making these sets and went back to the old design.

With the new flat screens you have maybe 5-6 boards, power, tuner, etc.

What's more these modules all use surface mount components and so are very hard to repair. Sometimes the power module can be fixed, but it's usually best just to replace it.

· Registered
141 Posts
Modular tvs were also created because some technicians and home owners could sometimes fix televisions by swapping tubes and really did not understand solid state theory that well. They could say swap a sound module or vertical module and fix some televisions. Like any industry, skill levels varied and not all technicians could do component level repair. The same think you mentioned about power supplies in tvs also holds true with modern computer monitors, if it is not the power supply or a back light they can be difficult to repair and with the prices going lower and lower they tend to be throw away items.

· Registered
7 Posts
I still have and use my 20 inch Panasonic that I've had for 12 years.

I did recently take the plunge with a 32 inch Sony LCD for various reasons. It cost $399 and it had what I was looking for.

I know that's considered cheap but I waited as long as I could to buy. I can totally relate to all the comments about price, reliability etc. I'm sure my new TV will not last nearly as long as my tube TV.

Televisions have been around forever it seems and I'm one of those people that feels they should be reliable and cheap. ^_^

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.