AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is off-topic, but it's a hardware question and I didn't know where else to post.

I just got a Playstation 2 and also bought Sony's compositive video adapter, thinking this would deliver the best picture available for the PS2. I ran the PS2 into an open composite-in port on my Denon AVR-3801, which goes composite-out to my Sony KP53HS-10 HD-ready RPTV. Pretty straightforward, I thought.

However, the picture was clearly worse than the "stock" component video input. Close-ups of, say, a car in GT3 looked great, but regular gameplay looked overly grainy and shimmery. I'm wondering if composite is simply too unforgiving of the PS2's resolution (640x240, one half an interlaced 640x480, from what I've read in these forums).

Before I take the composite cable back (I'd try S-video next) I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here? My set is reasonably calibrated (Avia), btw.

Any opinions or advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oops! In previous post please swap "component" for "composite" and vice versa. I meant I bought a *component* video adaptor - which is the 5-line input. I know composite's the low end.

Sheesh - I'm not even drinking! :)

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The PS2 has NO Progressive output just 480I.

Wait for the XBOX!

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Banned
410 Posts
I've been using the componnet cable from my PS2 to my Pioneer SD523HD5 and have had excellent results. I suspect maybe your Reciever has something wrong with it. Try going straight to your TV and bypass the reciever.

If that doesn't help,maybe the shimmering is just the line doubler in your TV. I know I get some shimmering but when I can afford to get an iScan Pro I assume it will fix that.

taron1:

If I wanted a game console that crashes all the time and requires that I put up with M$ games only, I'd buy one. Frankly I like that the PS2 never crashes and Sony seems to let anyone who wants to make software for it do it. M$ can kiss my a$$.

Rick

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Rick, I hear what you are saying but when a game console can do 5.1 in the game plus do 480P and 1080I and has a Progressive DVD player then I don't care who makes it. I will buy the XBOX because the PS2 disappointed me with no 480P out so no HDTV support!
http://www.gorillax.com/xboxgames/games_dolby.asp

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>suspect maybe your Reciever has something wrong with it. >Try going straight to your TV and bypass the reciever.

Yeah, I tried that this morning, but it makes no difference. I think you might be right about the internal line doubler. The Sony's DRC might be just incompatible (ironically) with the PS2. I'm going to try an S-video cable today to see if that helps.

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>Is your line doubler set to 960i or 480P?I'v found that >the 480P setting greatly reduces artifacting etc.

The Sony is set to 960i. I've been thinking about trying 480p as some owners report liking it better. Guess now's the time!

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
How do you set the line doubler from 960i to 480p? I have a Sony KV-36XBR450 and the picture with DIRECTV is grainy. I would like to see if the 480p would make a difference. Thnaks for your help!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's either the video or setup menu, but the selection for DRC is "progressive" (480p) or "interlaced" (960i).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:

Rick, I hear what you are saying but when a game console can do 5.1 in the game plus do 480P and 1080I and has a Progressive DVD player then I don't care who makes it. I will buy the XBOX because the PS2 disappointed me with no 480P out so no HDTV support!
http://www.gorillax.com/xboxgames/games_dolby.asp
It's still software decoding, and an extra purchase (remote) is REQUIRED.

That brings up an interesting point, who will really use the dvd player on a xbox. Especially if you have a decent TV.

------------------

--------------

Tho!

[This message has been edited by junkman (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
 http://www.xbox.com/Hardware/ shows that you will need the "DVD Movie Playback Kit" and "High Definition AV Pack" for component out.

------------------

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

·
Registered
31 Posts
deus,

Thanks for the info! But, before I make any changes with the service menu, do you know if changing the resolution from 960i to 480p will effect the HD channels. Have you switched to 480p? and does it make a difference in your opinion?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To MPAL10:

Here's how to change from 960i to 480p. Note that this is for the HS-10 models. I'm not sure if it's the same for XBRs but I understand that a lot of the high end Sony's are very similar. Enter at your own risk.

This information comes from the Yahoo group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonyhs10/files/

-----------

To get into the service menu, have the TV set turned off.

Press in rapid succession:

DISPLAY, 5, Vol+, POWER

Once the set is On, you'll see green letters across the screen.

Buttons 1 and 4 control the item, 2 and 5 control the category,

and 3 and 6 control the value.

The DRCP value is the item to change for 480p/960i. 0 is 960i, 1 is 480p.

Once you have changes the values to your liking, you must

write the changes to memory by pressing MUTE then ENTER.

The word write will appear in green at first, and turn red during the write. It will return to green when it's done. Turn off your set by pressing power on the remote. Turn it back on to see the results.

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
>Thanks for the info! But, before I make any changes with >the service menu, do you know if changing the resolution >from 960i to 480p will effect the HD channels.

I don't have any HDTV sources so I'm not sure what affect that would have. I only watch normal DirectTV (DirecTiVo!), DVDs, PS2, and Dreamcast.

>Have you switched to 480p? and does it make a difference >in your opinion?

I tried it for awhile but switched back to 960i. The image was just too soft for me, plus on the Playstation2 it looked even worse IMO. What did help my picture was to go through every menu setting (there are a lot of them!) and reset them to the specs noted in the manual. Quite a number of the values were off on my HS10. I don't know why but they were (I'd never been in the service menu before this). After that I "Avia'd" my set again and the picture looks better than it ever has.

Cheers,

------------------

Brian

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by taron1:
Apparently, the XBOX doesn't do progressive DVD. N TSC only, according to the xbox.com link posted in this thread.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.