AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to connect two HDTVs to the same HD source via component cables. The source only has one set of component outputs. Neither TV is very far from the source.

Is it possible to just use a relatively cheap Y-splitter for each of the three component outputs?

David

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is it possible to just use a relatively cheap Y-splitter for each of the three component outputs?

I assume you mean each of the three wires by this. You would need a distribution amplifier for that. cost anywhere from $100.00-$500.00. I wouldn't personally recommend it but ive seen them cheaper at rat-shack.

if you have more then one source to tv's then you will need a matrix switcher which will cost you alot of bucko's

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think if you connect two display devices to one component video source with "Y" cables, you would probably get pictures, but they would be very "dark" because you would be double terminating the source.

Component analog sources are I think usually 75 ohms out, and component inputs usually are terminating, that is to say they look like a 75 ohm load to the source. If two are connected in parallel with "Y" cables, the load looks like 37 ohms, and the video signals would be about half amplitude. You might be able to compensate for the low video level with the brightness control, but this is probably not a good idea.

There are component video distribution amplifiers available (for example http://www.smarthome.com/8141.html , not an endorsement, just an example) for around $100 that woudl be a proper solution.

Hope that helps,

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.