AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months a ago I found a link to a site that had a very nice and not so expensinve Component switch box. It also had Digital audio as part of it. I had lost the link to it.

Does anyone knows of a good component video switch box ??

Thanks

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Here it is

http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/1154c.html

I love this unit and use it to switch Dish, Direct and Evu hd receivers. If using hd receivers, remember to switch from hd to sd as well as turning unit off, as a signal is still sent with an "off" receiver if it is left in hd mode.

Shelly

·
Registered
576 Posts
Shelly,

I just set up my 1154 with a SonyHD-100 and BEV6000. I have been unsuccesful in getting the switch to work even when toggling between SD and HD. Is there a trick or setup I am missing? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shelly
Here it is

http://www.audioauthority.com/aacconsumers/1154c.html

I love this unit and use it to switch Dish, Direct and Evu hd receivers. If using hd receivers, remember to switch from hd to sd as well as turning unit off, as a signal is still sent with an "off" receiver if it is left in hd mode.

Shelly
Shelly - A little off topic - I knew you had BEV and D*. What does DISH offer that the other two don't? You are the only person i've seen that has 3 DBS systems! Guess SC doesn't reach here well.

(I have had D* for several years. BEV for 1.5 years. Thanks to you I knew to get a 24" dish to aim at 82 when i added the upgrade for my BEV 6000. )

...mike

P.S. I probably won't add HD capability to D* until they come out w. a way to record HD. I am def. going to geet a 921 for BEV if/when it ever is produced.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
John,

You not only have to switch from hd to sd, but you have to turn off the receiver as well. Not at all difficult but needing two button clicks instead of one.

Shelly

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Mike, When I first chose Dish, they offered Showtime HD, which Direct did not at that time. Then they added Discovery HD which Direct still does not have. I also get my overall programming package from Dish.

Check out the daily threads now to learn (you probably already know) that Dish will soon also offer HdNet and HdNet Movies.

I got DirectTv just for HdNet back when there was the special $5 Blockbuster deal, but will probably drop them when Dish starts to carry their new programming later this year.

That said, I get a richer picture from my directTv receiver than from my dish receivers. This was most noticable when I switched back and forth watching the NBA HD games offered by both services. I will miss that.

And, of course, BEV is my most important service, offering East and West Coast networks, as you know. I could never get them over the air in my area. I had considered StarChoice but didn't loke the requirements of separate receiver and hd boxs.

Right now I have 5 dishes on the roof and wouldn't mind a few more. It must make the neighbors wonder about my activities.

Shelly

·
Registered
576 Posts
Shelly, Added my fourth dish (lined up on the face of the deck) and my next door neighbor asked in wonderment "do you work for the CIA". I told him "Maybe I missed my calling". I still have 10 feet left on the face of the deck!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Shelly,

Thanks for posting the info on how to get automatic switching, between Dish and BEV receivers. I even called Audioauthority, and they did not have an answer. I was getting tired of walking back and forth, for manual switching. Also was kicking myself for spending an extra $100, for the auto switching function.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The picture difference may be due to the receiver itself, not the satellite provider. My Toshiba outputs a richer, more saturated color picture. I ned to increase brightness, and decrease color and contrast on my set. Just the oposite with the Dish and BEV receivers, which often need for me to reverse this, i.e., less brightness. more contrast and midway setting for color.

And although I seem to recall that this difference existed when I switched from many yeras of Direct to Dish about 4=5 years ago. But I often can't recall what happened 5 minutes ago so this is subject to question.

Not that any of the pictures are bad, just different. I have separate input settings on my tv so I just use one set of parameters for Dish and another for Direct.

Shelly

Red, I first diecovered that hd receivers are always sending a signal pulse with my vga auto switcher. I sent the first unit back and was going to send the second unit back as well. I even received an email from Kramer (manufacturer) in Israel whoi offered to make me a special unit that would work with my system. Nobody semed to realize this fact about hd receivers, even when they were turned off. So the trick is really in switching into sd mode. You will find that your switcher sometimes will switch even if the now sd receiver is still turned on.

And I even reported this back to the place of purchase. You'd think that a simple written insert in the packaging about this would help out hundreds of frustrated users.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I still can't get mine to work with Sony HD-100 and BEV 6000. It appears the Sony always sends a signal in every mode and when off. Hell, at this point I think if I were to unplug it would still send a signal! A little frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
John,

I assume that when you turn the Sony sat receiver from hd to sd, you lose the picture but not the sound.

Do you have your digital audio also connected through the switchbox? I suspect that you do and it is the digital audio signal that is live and preventing the switcher to work. I use just the analog audio inputs and have the digital audio connected directly to my receiver.

This way the regular analog audio is always switched with the video and is heard through the tv, and does not interfer with the switching function. It may be different for the digital audio signal. Just a guess.

Shelly

·
Registered
576 Posts
Shelly,

You are probably right but my receiver only has 1 optical input so I can't run the Sony directly to the receiver and also have the 1154 inputing the receiver. This was one of the main reasons I bought the unit to gain more digital audio capability. But you just gave me another idea. What if I run the 1154 out by coax digital to input the receiver then hook the Sony optical directly into the receiver.

That would result in input#1 DVD coax in; input#2 BEV 6000 optical in; input#3 Sony with no digital audio input and of course coax out to receiver. What do you think?

John

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Unless the BEV 6000 optical is always live as well. And, there is the possibility that the digital audio has no affect on the switchbox.

You will just have to make the new connections and give it a shot. Of course, it is usually a hassle to get behind the equipment to change cables. I know that it I hate doing it as I always seem to knock out some unrelated cable from the jungle that is back there.

If it turns out that the digital audio has no affect on the switchbox, your only alternative seems to be to somehow keep the Sony sat receiver video component outputs out of the switchbox and connected directly to your display.

Why would the Sony receiver, unlike the Dish 6000, BEV 6000 and my Toshiba 3000, not cut its hd signal pulse when in sd mode and turned off? Maybe Sony tech support can answer that for you.

Shelly

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.