AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have scoured Google searches, but I haven't found what I would call a really solid solution to my Component Video Input / Output woes.

The story is this:
  • DvD

XBOX

PS2

GameCube

HDTV (Future)

Two component inputs on the TV. None in the Receiver. Anyone have any good recommendations for a solid component switch box?

Would like for the unit to:
  • cost under $200. (Prefer under $150)

have five component inputs with one component output (four would be minimum)

have optical audio input / output for every component device

be able to be switched by my Toshiba TV remote

Any thoughts or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I did see this, but I am unsure as to the quality:

Manufacturer: Audio Authority

Model: 1154
http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...Video/1154.asp

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
That's probably about the only thing you will find that will switch component video in your price range. AA is decent but there will be some degredation. Would recommend that you connect the DVD direct to the TV and the other sources through the switch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, what about some that wouldn't be in my price range? Basically, anything higher, and I worry that I could just go buy another receiver. :)

How much degradation will there be with the solution mentioned above? I really don't understand, like so many others here, why there would be any degradation at all. I saw a posting about using a simple Radio Shack switch made for composite video. Some people said they were awesome, others swore there would be degradation. So if there is going to be degradation in this model, why not just go for the Radio Shack composite switch?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a similar problem, with a TV that has enough regular inputs but only 1 component HD input, but I have 2 HD sources (480P DVD, Samsung SIR-T165 HD terrestrial receiver).

I'm looking for a good quality switch that has a notion of 'priority' on 1 input, i.e. if the DVD player produces video, it switches to that, if not, it parks on the HD receiver. I want it that way for ease of use for the rest of the family.

If anyone has a quality solution, please post !

- Gerrit

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Check this out sometimes you can find them on eBay auctions. I bought it new it has a 500MHz bandwith, it should take care of all you have plus one more. To convert it just use RGB leave S alone this is a computer switcher, for component add as many BNC to RCA 'phono' connecters, if you connect all 5 and leave one for another time you will need 5 x 3 = 15 plus 3 to go to where ever your plugging your component input into.

I bought mine at $3.99 each, if you use the sixth you will need 21. This a top end 500 MHz bandwith switcher, I currently have 4 DVD players on mine. 3 Progressive Scan 300 + 1 Sony, 1 for making anamorphics from plain letterbox 2.35:1 Toshiba SD-4800, R1-6 manually switched for RCE discs JVC XVS500BK, and one interlaced 300 + 1 Sony CX-860 going into my converted switcher going into my one Y-Pr-Pb input on back of my RCA F-38310 HDTV. I hope this helps.:)

http://www.inlineinc.com/products/matrix/3506.htm

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have an audio authority 1154 autoswitcher. Takes 4 component inputs and automatically switches the component video and associated audio.

I have DVD, DISH6000HD, UNITYHD1000A, switched through it going to my 40" Tosh HDTV and don't see any signal degradation through the switch.

Now, of course, when I get my Sony HS10 Projector hooked up I might have a different opinion. On this RPTV I see none...

Just my 2 cents.

Dan

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
You certainly may not notice the signal changes.

As for comparing switching composite rather than component, that is a WHOLE different ballgame. Composite is already so crappy that it really does not matter.

The Inline piece doesn't look half bad.

As for what kind of degradation, you will probably notice a slight loss of sharpness, a slight drop in color saturation, and possibly some additional noise (minor) caused by additional cabling and connectors. Order of magnitude - still better than S Video but not all it can be.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Texas Sage,

This is a similar topic to another one about switchers. Below was my response:

"You can get either the Inday RGB4X or Audio Authority 1154. Both can switch up to 4 component inputs. The Inday support remote control. The Audio Authority can also switch audio.

I have the Inday (-R version that comes with a remote) and it works great. Rated bandwidth for it is 230MHz."

r,

Errol

·
Registered
247 Posts
The documentation with the audio authority does not spec bandwidth. Someone on AVS (don't remember who, but recently) posted that the AA 1154 is rated at 100mhz. Since HD bandwidth at full bitrate is approximately 37MHZ, I don't see , from a spec standpoint, that the switch will cause any degradation of the component signal.

Of course, any time you add switches, long cables, etc. you will impact the final picture displayed on your RPTV, projector or CRT. Just what is acceptable is up to the viewer.

My opinion of the audio authority is that it fills the bill very, very well. I can see no degradation of the picture when viewing PBS high definition at 1080i. It's just as crisp, sharp and vibrant as before I installed the switch. Of course, I'm on a 40" Toshiba HDTV so when you have a projector with a 100" screen, you might see more than I can.

With the WAF factor, the autoswitch is an absolute no brainer. It switches the digital, coaxial or analog audio along with the associated component video automatically. There's no switching TV inputs, processor sources etc. You just turn on/off the DVD, UM, DISH and it switches to the last one turned on. Can't get any simpler than that. It also has a manual switch on the box if you want to leave everything on.

And no, I don't work for AA. :rolleyes:

Dan

·
Registered
145 Posts
DanielD, I think you may be confusing HDTV video bandwidth requirements (measured in megahertz) with the data transmission bandwidth requirements for transporting the source bitstream (measured in megabits per second)

AFAIK 100MHz of bandwidth is required for baseband HDTV video.

·
Registered
13 Posts
HD video is 76 Mpix/sec, i.e. its sampling rate is 76 MHz. If you carry Y,U and V on separate cables, the bandwidth required at that sampling rate is about 38 MHz for Y. U and V are actually half sampling rate, and hence half the bandwidth, because of the way mpeg2 encodes them and the way they are reconstructed.

Note that it is a good idea to have more bandwidth than that - the signal would survive an overall 38 MHz bandwidth channel, but since you run through many components in the whole chain, each component should be better than that !

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I just found a new item on Key Digital's site that might be of interest. It is the KD-SW4x1. 4 component video inputs with Digital Audio for each. One component and digital audio output. List price is $599.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
I just found a new item on Key Digital's site that might be of interest. It is the KD-SW4x1. 4 component video inputs with Digital Audio for each. One component and digital audio output. List price is $599.
For that price, check out http://www.latencyzero.com/products/vs8hca.html which has 8 component video inputs and digital audio switching but lacks the analog audio switching, but has two outputs.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Key has a rep for great products. I am sure that this product will take 480p signals. Also, if you need more, the also have an 8 input, 3 output unit. Not sure of the price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.