AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Audio Authority has a 4 in 1 out component video switcher for $147! It is the model "90A-53"

------------------

hastalavista!

·
Registered
272 Posts
You guys are wasting your money. I went to radio shack and picked up an rca video switch (two inputs, one output). It's made to handle the rca video jacks and audio, and it works perfectly with my component video stuff. I have the DVD player and the DTC-100 plugged into it and there is no video degradation that I can tell of.

The best part of it was that it was on sale for $14...hehe.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bargain shopper award goes to . . .

Pericles!

Congrats on finding a solution that EVERYONE can afford!!

Thanks!

------------------

hastalavista!

·
Registered
272 Posts

If that is not sarcasm in your voice, then you are welcome..hehehe http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by hastalavista:
The bargain shopper award goes to . . .

Pericles!

Congrats on finding a solution that EVERYONE can afford!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pericles:

You guys are wasting your money.
Not necessarily. Much more likely, you are putting a weak link in your system. This has been discussed here in depth many times before. Inexpensive mechanical switchers with 3 RCA jacks are used by some with good results, but they are not designed for 75 ohm high bandwidth HDTV video. Mismatched impedance and loss of switching contact can result in reduced resolution, ghosting and other image problems.

Part of the problem here is that some people are trying to equate NTSC to HDTV. They are obviously not the same and consequently the hardware used to receive, display AND route signal need to be designed with HDTV spec's in mind.

I'm not familiar with the particular AA unit mentioned here, but AA does have component video & RGBHV switchers that are HDTV compatible. In general, look for bandwidth spec's of at least 35 MHz.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think the problem here is definition. Component video means either Y, Pb, Pr, or RGB, not "components that handle video".

Most (all) of the Radio Shack stuff at this point is only for COMPOSITE video, which means standard NTSC video.

In order to use these switches for component video, you would need one of these switches for each of the cables in component video (3 for Y, Pb, Pr, 4 or 5 for RGB/VH), and they would not be of sufficient quality to pass the full 30 MHz of bandwidth required.

If the switch indicated switches true COMPONENT video, it is a bargain at that price.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
272 Posts
Bob,

You are correct. I want to make sure you guys understand that this is NOT a component video switch, and it wasn't made for that, but again, I cannot see any image quality degradation whatsoever when I am using it. Of course this can be different in every instance if you have shielded cables, interference...etc. For my purposes, I am extremely happy with this gizmo, and for $14 it does exactly what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Smith:
I think the problem here is definition. Component video means either Y, Pb, Pr, or RGB, not "components that handle video".

Most (all) of the Radio Shack stuff at this point is only for COMPOSITE video, which means standard NTSC video.

In order to use these switches for component video, you would need one of these switches for each of the cables in component video (3 for Y, Pb, Pr, 4 or 5 for RGB/VH), and they would not be of sufficient quality to pass the full 30 MHz of bandwidth required.

If the switch indicated switches true COMPONENT video, it is a bargain at that price.

Bob Smith

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hastalavista:
There is no pic on the AA web site of the 90A-053. I don't have a scanner. The circuitry used is a typical AA design with probably well over 200MHz bandwidth at 75 ohms. Call them for a catalog 800-32-AUDIO (the call and catalog are free). This was shown at CEDIA. It is a metal box (similar in size to the 1155 module) with 4 buttons on the front.
Is this switcher manual only or can it switch automatically or by remote?

Jay

·
Registered
272 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cool I REALLY need one of these, I was a little apprehensive about putting a 15$ radio hack gizmo into my 5000$ home theatre.(I know small beans compared to you guys)

I only have 1 component in, I need 3 for DTV,DVD and Xbox

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pericles:

I was being serious. For me, I think half of the fun of our hobby is finding better and/or less expensive ways of finding solutions. I would much rather find something at a very low price that works sufficiently than a very expensive product that is over-spec'd.

There is no pic on the AA web site of the 90A-053. I don't have a scanner. The circuitry used is a typical AA design with probably well over 200MHz bandwidth at 75 ohms. Call them for a catalog 800-32-AUDIO (the call and catalog are free). This was shown at CEDIA. It is a metal box (similar in size to the 1155 module) with 4 buttons on the front.

------------------

hastalavista!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well either way I had some money put aside so I ordered the 4-Way Switch from AA. I know I could have maybe saved a ton of cash, but I hate having that thought in the back of my head saying "hmmm I wonder if it would look better without the switch?" With this I don't even have to worry about it. I applaud your find from RS though it's an unbeatable deal.

The guy from AA said it would take up to 6 weeks for delivery though! he was also wondering where I had heard about the part too.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If you're curious, you could buy the RS unit in the interim and then swap in the AA switch when it arrives and judge for yourself. It's only an extra 14 bucks.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have also used the Radio Shack switch for about 6 months now. I use it to switch HDTV between a Mits HDTV receiver (OTA) and an HDD200/4DTV. I see no obvious differences from running the cable directly to the TV; but I don't have well trained eyes....as for me, the price makes it even more desirable.

Len

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am not sure if they sell a 3 input switch, but I k now for a fact they make a 4 input switch because I had to choose between the 2 inputs and the 4 inputs one. The 4 inputs switch was more like $30 or so...you won't get that for $14, I don't think....

Quote:
Originally posted by c0_re:
Cool I REALLY need one of these, I was a little apprehensive about putting a 15$ radio hack gizmo into my 5000$ home theatre.(I know small beans compared to you guys)

I only have 1 component in, I need 3 for DTV,DVD and Xbox

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.