AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please quickly explain component video switching and conversion?

What are they are why are they important on newer receivers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
This allows you to make a single video connection to your TV or video monitor via a set of component cables from your A/V receiver output. Multiple video sources are then selected and routed through your receiver, along with the requesite audio, using your receiver's one remote rather than also cycling through multiple video inputs on your TV, which may be limited in the number of inputs. Video sources that output their signal on composite or s-video connections are selected and upconverted to component video in the receiver to accomplish this and video sources with component outputs are selected and passed through unmodified.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Be sure to note that composite and S-video are not improved upon in any way. They are not component video quality just passed through component. In short current upconversion allows you to save two connections. 1 S-video from the receiver to your TV, and 1 composite from the receiver to the TV; that is if you still require either or both.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does anyone know if the Harmon/Kardon AVR 630 has video upconversion. My DVD and Xbox use component and then my DTV box uses S-video. I just want one component running to the TV. Will the reciver upconvert the S-video comming from the DTV box?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Does anyone know if there are receivers that will do component switching for 480p and/or 1080i? I have a Harman Kardon 7000, and I am pretty sure that it does not support this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
YES!!!

Onkyo TXNR901 converts all sources to component output. I have the TXNR801 and it only converts all to S-Video, but the 901 sends it all component out which means it should switch all of your sources just fine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
the denon 3803 will upconvert composite and svideo to component, and it also passes both 480p and 1080i, i have my dvd player and my hi def box going to my receiver. along with my tivo, cable box and ps2, and i just have 1 set of component cables running to my tv...it works just fine!!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Hi all,

Yes, the 3803 component passes 480p and 1080i, but just coming from a progressive DVD player or HDTV source connected to the receiver through component cables.

But it seems that the new H/K 7300 incorporates a Faroujda processor capable of upconverting EVERY video input signal (composite and S-Video included) to 480p! :cool:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
No, the 630 can't upconvert video signals, and for all I have read about H/K receivers, it seems you'll have to wait for the 7300 if thinking of going for an H/K receiver with video upconversion onboard.

·
Registered
893 Posts
For the best HD/DVD signal possible, I was under the impression that running the connection through a receiver (as opposed to a direct connection to the TV) was not the way to go. Am I wrong about this?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am not so much worried about upconversion as pass through quality. I am considering the H/K 430 or 630 and would want it to switch between my HD box and DVD player. Has any one seen any signal noise caused by running componet video through one of these units?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by magillagorilla
For the best HD/DVD signal possible, I was under the impression that running the connection through a receiver (as opposed to a direct connection to the TV) was not the way to go. Am I wrong about this?
I've heard that many times but have yet to see an A/B comparison showing it to be true. I've also heard that the presence of an OSD on the output channel can be the source of significant video noise, regardless of whether the OSD is being used at any particular moment.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The big issues/questions with component switching:

How many MHz bandwidth do you need for 1080i component switching? And when the receiver spec says 35/40/50/70 MHz, at how many db down is that? 3db? The bandwidths for receivers are all over the map; about the only thing for sure is that 25MHz isn't enough.

Does the receiver upconvert SVideo/composite to component? If so, does it upconvert to component 480i or (in rare cases) 480p or more?

Is the user-interface visible on component? (until recently, I think the answer was mostly no).

Is there any visible impact on the signal when you go through the receiver's component switching, either from bandwidth (as above), crosstalk, or noise? In theory, direct connections will always be cleaner, but in practice it may not make a difference and you may get a lot fo extra functionality/utility out of going through the receiver (UI, upconversion, less cables, not having to switch inputs on the monitor/TV, etc).

FYI, trying to teach my inlaws (ages ~69 and 78) to switch inputs on the HDTV (with yet another remote) depending on whether they're watching a DVD or the cable box, etc is Not Easy. It's hard enough to get them to know to switch inputs on the receiver (in fact, they pretty much don't remember that currently, but I'm sure I can teach them that).

FYI, the high-end Kenwood's (5090/5700/5900) upconvert everything to component and put the UI on component; I think they're 35MHz bandwidth BTW.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.