AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is how much difference does the bandwidth on component video switching does it makes?

HK 335 is 50Mhz

Pioneer 1015 and Denon 1906 are 100Mhz

I have the Pioneer 1015 and the video switching works well. I am pleased enough to keep using it. on HD programming I have not noticed any glicthes or anything yet and it looks as good as it did when it was directly connected. If I decide to get the HK 335 which should be a better quality reciever will I noticed a large difference because it only 50MHz?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
1080i only requires 37MHz so you should be fine....BTW 720p is roughly the same. 50MHz covers current needs pretty well. 1080p will be another story...but we are still a ways away from that in any meaningful consumer quantities.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Bah phooey... 50 Mhz is plenty for today's technology though... here you go (if the bandwidth is insufficient you may notice a softening of the picture):

System Bandwidth Requirements for Video:

NTSC Broadcast and VHS: 4.2 MHz

Laser Disk: 5.3 MHz

Regular NTSC DVD: 7 (6.8) MHz

Progressive Scan NTSC DVD and 480p DTV: 13.5 MHz

1080i HDTV: 37 MHz; in practice with 22 MHz the picture is still very superb.

720p HDTV; 37 MHz.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Quote:
1080i only requires 37MHz so you should be fine....BTW 720p is roughly the same. 50MHz covers current needs pretty well. 1080p will be another story...but we are still a ways away from that in any meaningful consumer quantities.
I agree, and it's very unlikely there will ever be 1080p on component, anyhow, unless you are using a computer with component output on the video card. All the Blu-Ray & HD-DVD hi-def outputs will be HDMI. There are no near-term broadcast plans for any kind of 1080p, and by the time that comes around, I'm sure outputs will all be HDMI or some future standard.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.