AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at either the Kenwood VR-507 or 509. The only difference I can tell is that the 509 has component video switching.

I have read that this isn't necessary since my TV has two sets of component video inputs and I can switch on the TV. Also I have read that the video signal is slightly degraded when you run it through the receiver.

So if it's not necessary, then I guess I would run the video directly from the DVD to the TV, while the DVD audio goes to the receiver for decoding. Does this sound right?

Am I missing anything? Is there a better bang for the buck you could recommend? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Some receivers have more limited bandwidth for video switching. The Denon 3802 has less bandwidth than the 4802, and perhaps not enough for HD video.

If you get a receiver with sufficient bandwidth for your sources, it seems to me that there is real convenience there. In my current case I need the s-video and AC-3 switching because my current TV has only single inputs. Who knows what my next one will have?

·
Registered
267 Posts
It is really better to run your inputs directly to the display device and avoid as much as possible any switches or additiona connections. If your TV has enough inputs of the correct type for your sources, then run them directly and avoid usin the video switch in the receiver.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If they had receivers with the option to drop:

1: Video switcher

2: Radio Tuner

3: Tone controls

4: All those extra dang inputs. I don't have 7 vcrs ect!!!

That would be great by me. It's best to drive your video directly, not to mention if you're running a BNC projector that component switching doesn't do any good at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.