AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if such a device exists. Ideally it would convert component video to a ATSC channel 3 or 4 signal. I have searched around and have only found expensive commercial units.

The reason I am looking for this device is I would like to take the video coming out of my Unity Motion receiver and Dish 6000 and input it to my AccessDTV card for time shifting programs.

Vince

·
Registered
195 Posts
The problem is that this requires not only conversion from analog to digital, but also MPEG2 compression of a high-def signal. Because MPEG compression/decompression is slanted toward making the compression (or encoding) an expensive operation computationally, I think it's unlikely we'll see a device like this any time soon.

It's far more likely that we'll see 1394 or other digital connectors, and keep everything in the digital domain while modulating/demodulating it. This would be similar to the way a VCR takes its (analog) signal and modulates it onto channel 3 or 4.

A similar possibility would be a mod like the one discussed in the recording forum. It would have to be designed for the Unity Motion receiver, though. And this is still just taking the digital signal and putting it out over 1394.

Long term, you wouldn't want to go through the MPEG2->RAW->MPEG2 route anyway. It degrades the final signal with multiple encoding artifacts.

------------------

- Jeff

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff T:
The problem is that this requires not only conversion from analog to digital, but also MPEG2 compression of a high-def signal.
Vince, my mind and eyes were not in sync. Thanks to Jeff T, I just noticed you wanted to feed the unit base-band video. Not likely for quite awhile. I was thinking SMPTE-310M (transport stream) feeding the 8VSB modulator, sorry.

------------------

Wendell

Technical Services Supervisor

MAETV

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Don't forget you'll have to get Dolby Digtal in somewhere in there, too.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
There are some very expensive video capture cards that will capture component but only with DVD resolution as far as I know.

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! I had hoped that because they are readily available in the NTSC world that one would either exist or possibly somebody was working on one.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I'm not sure if this was the same site to which Ken referred, but I contacted Bernclare Multimedia Inc. which (IIRC) retails products from a manufacturer of PCI boards that convert component inputs to MPEG2. The reply indicated that this was only for NTSC. However, there was also this paragraph which I found interesting:

Quote:
Darim's MPEGator 2 is being re-engineered: they are change their chip set implementation. It will be a few months before a new product comes up. Please check into our product line summary, http://www.bernclare.com/pldvdvcd.htm for MPEG 2 encoders selection.
As to capturing the Dolby Digital stream, I don't really have a problem utilizing a CD writer and synchronizing it on playback.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.