AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase the new Sony SAT-HD300 when it becomes available (let me know if you think that's a bad idea).

I have the option of connecting it to my Pioneer SD-532-HD5 with either a component video cable or a DB15 cable. The little information that I have read suggest they have basically the same performance. I have done some preliminary pricing on the high end Monster cables and they both sell for $200.

I was just wondering if anyone had any more information that I could base my decision on?

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,656 Posts
In general, component video and RGBHV will give identical performance for HDTV. There are always exceptions, and that's why to know for sure, try both.

Also, Monster Cables are a good product but other products are good too, and a better value.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you (or anyone else) provide some cable manufacturers that I should consider? I always get heartburn when I price cables and I don't know the pecking order among cable manufacturers?

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
While technically RGB interfaces have greater bandwidth for chroma (ie. color) information the HDTV transmission system encodes the information in component format therefore negating the RGB interface advantage. Also many monitors/projectors allow the color intensity and hue controls to function with component video inputs but not for RGB inputs. This can be a major advantage in some cases.

Ron Jones

·
Registered
384 Posts
andyfri,

I have an $80 RGB cable and a $15 VGA (VGA & RGB are the same and both use the hi density 15pin connector) cable from Staples and i cannot tell the difference between them. Once you know what sex the connectors are, i suggest you get the $15 cable and give it a try. Save a few bucks for a better antenna!!

hth,

ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Jones
While technically RGB interfaces have greater bandwidth for chroma (ie. color) information the HDTV transmission system encodes the information in component format therefore negating the RGB interface advantage. Also many monitors/projectors allow the color intensity and hue controls to function with component video inputs but not for RGB inputs. This can be a major advantage in some cases.

Ron Jones
I have verified that many of the picture adjustments on my Pioneer SD-532-HD5 may not be changed when using the RGB input. Although I have not played with any of these settings yet, I believe that I will go with the component cable in case I decide to in the future.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have the Pioneer SD-632-HD5 and Id suggest going with the DB15. You'll need the open component inputs for other things later. So my advice is to choose the one that maximizes your remaining inputs, you'll need them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dparker
I have the Pioneer SD-632-HD5 and Id suggest going with the DB15. You'll need the open component inputs for other things later. So my advice is to choose the one that maximizes your remaining inputs, you'll need them.
You're absolutely right! I only have two component inputs (1 & 2). Input 3 can be S-Video or RGB, but not component. Thanks for making me look at my manual again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.