AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,


I've been trying to work out the resolutions on my 57HX83 with Powerstrip and my ATI 9600XT without much luck.


If I scrap the DVI and go with Component instead, and I going to have better luck?


Suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I didn't have luck with my geforce 4, radeon 9200, 9600 using DVI. I think it might have something to do with bad EDID info or some sort. The video card doesn't understand that the tv can do higher res.


I took the plunge and got a transcoder. Life has been good since then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
I also finally gave up on DVI and went with the ATI component adapter. It couldn't have been much easier and the quality is great (I can't tell the difference between the computer HD or OTA HD). Spend $40 and get the ATI adapter (since you have a 9600). You won't regret it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did some reseearch on Transcoders vs the ATI adapter, and decided to give the ATI adapter a try.


I don't really need DVD playback, as I have the LG DVD player that upconverts. But I would like good reolution, sharpness and games on my 57".


Do I still need Powerstrip with the ATI adapter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Frameboy99
I did some reseearch on Transcoders vs the ATI adapter, and decided to give the ATI adapter a try.


I don't really need DVD playback, as I have the LG DVD player that upconverts. But I would like good reolution, sharpness and games on my 57".


Do I still need Powerstrip with the ATI adapter?
Yes. I am currently working with Powerstrip and my Toshiba 57HX83. I am not having much luck, but haven't worked on it very long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,657 Posts
I went with a transcoder over the ATI adaptor. It's been a year so I don't recall all the reasons, but part of it is that a transcoder seems much more flexible--I'm not locked into one brand of video card.


BTW, although there is a learning curve with PS, I was able to get my Toshiba 42hdx82 configured relatively easy with both a desktop and video resoluton.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
I run my 57h83 with Sapphire 9600 and the dongle. I previously used the Key Digital transcoder and found that the dongle looked better. I've been wondering if upgrading my video card to an Nvidia would be worth it since they don't have component connectivity and this would require going back to the transcoder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
For my 42hdx82, I use ATI 9600 non-pro, ATI component dongle (purple one) and ATI Drivers 3.8. I run at 1776x1000i with ATI settings, which I then tweak using Powerstrip with Karnis' generic settings for that ATI setting.


At this level, flicker and overscan was significantly reduced. Recommend the same path. Rumors are lurking that some with newer ATI drivers may be getting around the E-DID issue and are using DVI cables from the card to the set. Do a search on Toshiba, HDX82, or other newer models of sets trying combinations of set sizes like 42hdx82, 57hdx82, etc.


I'm don't feel like spending lots of hours on trying this, much less the system is working perfect and can't imagine much better imaging (or at least anything noticable increase from component to DVI).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Good Timing, I was about to post this same question. I am using a Hitachi 50v500, but I am not having much luck with the DVI. I had it working, then It just suddenly stopped. Anyway, one more question:


Should one buy the DVI to Component adapter or the VGA to component?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by huntrm
For my 42hdx82, I use ATI 9600 non-pro, ATI component dongle (purple one) and ATI Drivers 3.8. I run at 1776x1000i with ATI settings, which I then tweak using Powerstrip with Karnis' generic settings for that ATI setting.
I have the ATI 9600 XT and will receive the component dongle tomorrow.

I noticed there where two different dongles what is the difference?

is that correct ? you got your resolution on your HTPC with a 9600 card at 1776x1000i? can you elaborate a little please on how you did that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
It's simple, in the ATI control panel, set your resolution for 1776x1000. Don't even try 1920x1080 since this will cause too much flicker and there's no PQ improvement. Be sure to set the component dongle with the dip switches to support the different resolutions.


Then, if you're please with overscann or PQ (especially flicker), then your're set. I purchased Powerstrip and then followed Karnis' guide (which is a sticky, or used to be on this forum - do a search) on how to use Powerstrip. Look under his recommended settings for the ATI Component Dongle, and then copy/paste the settings for 1776x1000 into the cusotm config for Powerstrip.


Apply the settings, and you're set. You may have to spend some time on the Powerstrip forum at their site to determine how to navigate through the program.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by huntrm
It's simple, in the ATI control panel, set your resolution for 1776x1000. Don't even try 1920x1080 since this will cause too much flicker and there's no PQ improvement. Be sure to set the component dongle with the dip switches to support the different resolutions.


Then, if you're please with overscann or PQ (especially flicker), then your're set. I purchased Powerstrip and then followed Karnis' guide (which is a sticky, or used to be on this forum - do a search) on how to use Powerstrip. Look under his recommended settings for the ATI Component Dongle, and then copy/paste the settings for 1776x1000 into the cusotm config for Powerstrip.


Apply the settings, and you're set. You may have to spend some time on the Powerstrip forum at their site to determine how to navigate through the program.
thanks for the response
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by huntrm
It's simple, in the ATI control panel, set your resolution for 1776x1000. Don't even try 1920x1080 since this will cause too much flicker and there's no PQ improvement. Be sure to set the component dongle with the dip switches to support the different resolutions.


Then, if you're please with overscann or PQ (especially flicker), then your're set. I purchased Powerstrip and then followed Karnis' guide (which is a sticky, or used to be on this forum - do a search) on how to use Powerstrip. Look under his recommended settings for the ATI Component Dongle, and then copy/paste the settings for 1776x1000 into the cusotm config for Powerstrip.


Apply the settings, and you're set. You may have to spend some time on the Powerstrip forum at their site to determine how to navigate through the program.
Maybe you can help me, I just got the dongle in from ATI and am having a problem.

I a using a Sony Projection TV KP43HT20

it has 2-Component Video Inputs (Y/PB/PR)(1080i, 480p, 480i)

Radeon 8500 64mb

P4 1.8 512 Ram etc.....


The drivers I am using from ATI are the newest they have available.

4.1

the dongle (ATI HDTV Component Video Adapter P/N: 117-70104-30)

the purple one

DVI not VGA

the dip switches are set to 480i,480p 1080i on

and 540p, 720p and 16:9 are off


I have tried diferent variations but none work.


basicly when I turn on the computer it boots up scrambled and when it reaches the desktop it is still scrambled.


I can't get any furthter than that until I shut it off and reboot with a monitor or S-video.


Hope you can help me
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by raaaaaa
Maybe you can help me, I just got the dongle in from ATI and am having a problem.

I a using a Sony Projection TV KP43HT20

it has 2-Component Video Inputs (Y/PB/PR)(1080i, 480p, 480i)

Radeon 8500 64mb

P4 1.8 512 Ram etc.....


The drivers I am using from ATI are the newest they have available.

4.1

the dongle (ATI HDTV Component Video Adapter P/N: 117-70104-30)

the purple one

DVI not VGA

the dip switches are set to 480i,480p 1080i on

and 540p, 720p and 16:9 are off


I have tried diferent variations but none work.


basicly when I turn on the computer it boots up scrambled and when it reaches the desktop it is still scrambled.


I can't get any furthter than that until I shut it off and reboot with a monitor or S-video.


Hope you can help me
This sounds very similar to the problems others have with DVI on the problematic sets. You might search for that model number Sony to see if you can find what luck others have had with DVI.


Edit: Checking, that appears to be a CRT based RPTV. It's an analog device, so you're not likely to get any significant benefit using DVI (unless it has a lousy digital to alalog converter). I typically say it's generally better to avoid DVI with such sets because there is the potential for problems. Toshiba sets are the main offenders, but not the only such offenders.


Edit: Also, I'd go with a transcoder rather than the ATI dongle, so that you have more options, not just the options ATI picks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
ATI dongle is component. are you using direct DVI from the pc card to the TV? Am confused. My experience is you should at least get some sort of picture at 800x600. Do you have a monitor also connected to the VGA portion of the board?



OHHHHHH, I forgot. I did have to build a VGA dummy on my ATI radeon 9600 non-pro. I haven't been back there lately to examine it. Essentially with previous versions of the Radeon drivers, you do have to fool the graphics card to start up with the dongle on DVI instead of the VGA port.


Do a search on VGA dummy radeon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by huntrm
ATI dongle is component. are you using direct DVI from the pc card to the TV? Am confused. My experience is you should at least get some sort of picture at 800x600. Do you have a monitor also connected to the VGA portion of the board?



OHHHHHH, I forgot. I did have to build a VGA dummy on my ATI radeon 9600 non-pro. I haven't been back there lately to examine it. Essentially with previous versions of the Radeon drivers, you do have to fool the graphics card to start up with the dongle on DVI instead of the VGA port.


Do a search on VGA dummy radeon.


I have it on the DVI output.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/DSC02114.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...a/DSC02117.jpg


as you can see in the pictures you can not see the desktop


do you think it is because it is a radeon 8500? I see that you have to have vga dummy on the card.


I have a radeon 9600xt connected in another house, I will connect the dongle to that card and try it out on the projection tv in that house to illimanate the card being the problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,657 Posts
I think what Huntrm is referring to is putting a device on the VGA out to fool the card into thinking a monitor is connected. The DVI problem I've been referring to is the card thinks nothing is connected, and thus quits displaying when it gets to a higher resolution. The other alternative (which doesn't necessarily work too well) is to use the DVI Detective which fools the card into thinking there is a DVI device connected to the card.


BTW, I wasn't quite thinking straight yesterday when I was talking about the conversion by your set. With either ATI dongle the set would not be doing the conversion. But I still don't see what the advantage would be to using a DVI to component dongle as opposed to a VGA to component dongle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
Radeon 8500 should be fine. I'm thinkinng, you've got frequency issues from the card to the set. You should connect a monitor to the card, and then install/configure Powerstrip to perform custom settings.


Also, all dip switches should be turned ON on the dongle.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top