AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
There are no technical reasons why 1080P cannot be delivered via component, but manufacturers are not doing so. Probably because of the much stonger anti-copy technology with HDMI and the increased cost of doing high quality 1080P in the analog domain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After doing more research on the topic, it appears that HDMI is the way to go. My Comcast box has a DVI-D out connection, but no HDMI. But it appears that I can buy a cable that is DVI-D on one end and HDMI on the other. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does it work as well as HDMI directly?

·
Registered
811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshi62HM196man /forum/post/0

After doing more research on the topic, it appears that HDMI is the way to go. My Comcast box has a DVI-D out connection, but no HDMI. But it appears that I can buy a cable that is DVI-D on one end and HDMI on the other. Has anyone had any experience with this? Does it work as well as HDMI directly?

Yes.

·
Registered
16,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxxx123 /forum/post/0

but would it make a difference if I use an DVI-HDMI instead of component?

Theoretically, a digital connection (HDMI or DVI or DVI-to-HDMI) should be better than component since you skip a digital-to-analog conversion, followed by a reconversion back to digital, which is necessary for component. Most people, however, have noted that this makes less difference for cable boxes than for upscaling DVD players.

In terms of your original question, Samsung DLPs allow 1080p input over component, so yes, component can carry a 1080p signal (only BD and some HD-DVD players have 1080p output).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.