AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to take advantage of the extra lines of resolution on anamorphic discs, I have cut pins 13 and 14 on my VGA cable to enable component in from my Iscan Pro. The only problem with this is the component mode looks significantly poorer in quality than RGB when watching non-anamorphic discs and SDTV. Is this because of the way the LT150 handles component or is component an inferior way to transmit video compared to RGB? Is there a way to improve the component quality on my LT150?

Watching SDTV windowboxed using the iscan's squeeze mode seems to help, presumably because the smaller size makes the difference less noticeable, or maybe because the LT150 doesn't have to scale as much. However, there are some non-anamorphic dvd's (eg music dvd's) that I would like to watch full-screen (on 4:3 screen) with the quality that RGB was giving me.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I had the opposite experience using my Skyworth. RGB looked worse than component and had more scaling artifacts. Keep also in mind though that scaling full screen content is different from anamorphic as the scaling factor is higher. You're scaling from 480i to 768p compared to 576p for anamorphic content. Since the LT150 doesn't exactly have a stellar scaler in the first place you'll see more scaling artfacts for full screen content.

I can only assume that there's some tweaking of the iscan needed in order for it reach comparable performance for component. I've never had an iscan so I don't know how much is possible. Tweak the projector as well (calibrate it using avia or VE).

If you can't get the same performance for both then the only other option is to have a second VGA cable (that's not been modded) and switch over to RGB for full screen content.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frode,

I'm surprised that RGB was worse for you. The component picture looks grainier and less 3-dimensional on my LT150. My dealer says that component has to go through one more conversion step in the projector, and this accounts for the problem. Remember that I am talking about the difference between RGB and component when both are scaled to a full 4:3 size.

There is not much to tweak on the iscan, and I've spent some time tweaking the LT150. Perhaps there is some setting on the LT150 I've missed that can be changed to close the gap. I also wondered if some of the other 13 connections in the VGA cable could be having an effect.

If I can't solve the problem, I may just use the window-box approach mentioned above. Switching cables and settings for almost every dvd is a hassle I would like to do without.

I may end up breaking down and buying a scaler if I can't achieve satisfaction, but I was hoping to save some money until scalers are better or cheaper. I would probably buy the C.I. since the Quadscan has a fan, and the last thing I want in my high-end audio system is another source of noise!

[This message has been edited by Tim Wiens (edited 08-31-2001).]

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My main problem with RGB was that the LT150 thinks that NTSC is really 640x480 - instead of 720x480. And so I get more aliasing and scaling artifacts.

There's no point in messing with the other pins on the cable btw. If you want to switch between the two then a couple of cheap VGA switchboxes of the manual variety should suffice.

I'd recommend a HTPC (put it in a hushbox if noise bothers you) over a quadscan or CI. Cheaper than the other two at least

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried some anamorphic dvd's last night, and the results were great. TV is good enough in window-boxed form that I think I will go with this for now. The lesser amount of scaling necessary must be the reason it looks so much better that scaling it up to the whole 4:3 size. This means I will probably upgrade to a 16:9 screen soon.

The reason I would like to avoid an HTPC is simplicity for both me and my wife. Also, I am an audiophile and get very good sound from my Theta gear. I would be that my DaViD transport sounds a lot better than any DVD drive in a computer. It also has good video output which may account for my good results on movies with this setup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.