AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Either should be fine, but your display may prefer one over the other. I would test your sources to see if any difference can be seen on your display.

It is preferred to use a source that provides an output that you don't have to alter to use, unlike what you are currently doing with your DVD player/Key Digital transcoder. If your transcoder works properly, it won't matter.

If you change to all component video sources, you won't have to replace your switcher, just use three channels instead of five. To retain the auto function, try running the component Y channel thru the H sync on the switcher.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Is this any real reason to favor using component over RGB video output, or vice versa, from an HDTV satellite receiver that has both, and a TV monitor that is capable of both? I'm currently using an Extron RGB autoswitch to select from a DTC-100 (RGB output only), a Dish 6000 (using the RGB port) and a progressive DVD player running through a Key Digital component to RGB transcoder. If I replace my DTC-100 with a newer HDTV receiver, they'll all be component capable and I was just wondering if there's any advantage of using one video output format over the other. Obviously then I would have to replace the autoswitch to a component type and will be able to eliminate the transcoder.

Thanks,

Ron

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Just to clarify the above question, I'm talking about VGA output (RGBHV) vs. component.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks, Ken. Subsequent to my post, I found in the Extron manual exactly what you described, i.e. using a "T" for the Y component output, and running that to the G and the H/V for autoswitch. I think that't the way I am going to go so I can eliminate the transcoder.

The main reason I'm converting to component is because, as per my earlier post on a list of deficiencies of the Sony HD100, I noted that the VGA shifts to the right. I tried component, and that works fine. So that prompted me to find a cost effective way to switch from VGA to Component.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ron, I am looking for a component-to-VGA transcoder. (MY RCA MS36100 will accept only interlaced output throught its component jacks; it will accept progressive scan through the VGA 14-pin connection.) Where did you get your Key Digital, how much did it cost? (Are you interested in selling yours?)

Thanks.

[email protected]

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Casemiro:
Ron, I am looking for a component-to-VGA transcoder. (MY RCA MS36100 will accept only interlaced output throught its component jacks; it will accept progressive scan through the VGA 14-pin connection.) Where did you get your Key Digital, how much did it cost? (Are you interested in selling yours?)

Thanks.

[email protected]
You can order direct from www.keydigital.com or you can get it cheaper at www.copperbox.com who are showing it for $179. I've bought from both and they are both reputable and helpful.

Tony

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have an Extron Component to VGA transcoder that I would sell.

I had a first generation (99) Mitsubishi TV which requires a component to VGA converter to use a progressive scan DVD player. It worked great, but I just bought a new Toshiba HDTV that has 2 component inputs.

Let me know if you're interested.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.