AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, im new to home theaters and i have a question. im looking at putting in a direct tv, with xbox 360. I have a 62" dlp tv now, but i also want to have a 106" screen that comes down in front of it for movies games and sporting events. i have a onkyo tx-604 receiver and what i was trying to do is run the xbox 360 and direct tv through the receiver and out to the tv and projector.

my question is.....

neither the tv or projector will be on at the same time....im using component cables for both....and my receiver only has 1 component out. so can i use "Y" cables at the receiver out component. and then have seperate componant cables running to the tv and projector?

will i suffer from image loss? do i need a 4:2 componant converter or wil the "Y" cables work because both units will not be on at the same time....

thanks..any info is greatly appriecated.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I just clicked on it and it worked for me...hmmm

Yes, it's a component cable splitter, one end has standard comp cable which would connect to the receiver, the other end has a comp cable splitter...one to the tv one to the projector. go to the monoprice website and do a search for splitter...scroll down and you should see it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea...i just bought it....so ill check it out...what does a distribution amp do?....ill be running about 25' of component cable to my projector....

also do they make these splitters for hdmi cable?

·
Registered
109 Posts
The distribution amplifier does the same thing as the splitter, only it amplifies the signal so you dont experience loss in image quality.

If you however dont have both on at once, you shouldnt have too much of a problem if any.

·
Banned
2,646 Posts

Quote:
If you however dont have both on at once, you shouldnt have too much of a problem if any.

The termination resistors are in the circuit, weather the device is on or off.

Using the passive splitter you bought, will result in low amplitude video at both devices, because you are double terminating the source.

Paralleling two 75 Ohm loads, as you're going to do, results in a load of 37.5 ohms, you'll lose about 2/3 of the signal across the source resistor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok...so i'll only be running one at a time..tv or projector...because the projector screen is going to come down in fron of the tv....so..if thats the case...the splitter should do the job?......so it should be ok?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have a 65" HDTV behind my curtains and 100" projection screen.

I recommend a Impact Accoustic Component Matrix Switcher like I have. You and I are in the same situation. Two displays and multiple sources. I used this switcher with no problems at all. It's also remote control which comes in really handy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the same setup basically with a 50" Sony that a 101" Elite screen comes down in front of and I use the monoprice splitter and I haven't noticed any loss of signal!

I tried with the splitter, without the splitter, splitter with only one connection and then tried it with both connected (not turned on both only the projector) and I couldn't see any difference. My projector cable is 50ft long also after the splitter just for some more info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yea...i already ordered the splitter for $9.69 shipped. ill check that out first., hopefully ill have no trouble with it... otherwise seems like rat shack had a pretty good priced one for $69. ill have to check that one out if i dont have good luck with the splitter...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.