AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Going to start a home theater in a semi-dedicated space, and I am looking into making a false wall and with an AT screen. The border will just be furling with felt, as it wont need to be AT. My question is, can I put my components (amp, receiver, bluray, etc) behind the wall with the speakers? I obviously need to make a hatch or something to gain access to insert discs, and so on, but as I will be using the harmony smart remote, line of sight is not necessary. Usually people do a in wall cabinet off to one side, but seeing as my basement is already finished, from a wiring standpoint, doing this behind the false wall will eliminate much headache.

Any issues with this?

Also, I'm thinking about a 125" screen, my wall is about 11.5 x 6.5 and I will be sitting 13-15 feet away... will this screen be way too big?

Thanks,

Pat

·
Registered
384 Posts
the screen will be too big based on a 11.5 wide room and wanting to have access to the av equip - my room is slowly moving along but it is 12 feet wide and i will be using a 110" 16:9 screen - my front row will be about 9 feet from the screen. based on my measurements I will have about 20" left on each side. since i am using an existing room my gear will be in the same spot you are talking about on one side of the screen then i will build shelving on the other for my movies - the 20" will give me just enough room to house the equip - i am planning on using fabric panels around the screen to have a clean look and will integrate fabric panels on hinges for my doors to access the gear and movies that will be behind it - the remotes are still in sight of the gear so i would not need an ir transmitters -

do a search for minimalistic screen wall and you will see similar examples of this -

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the screen will be too big based on a 11.5 wide room and wanting to have access to the av equip - my room is slowly moving along but it is 12 feet wide and i will be using a 110" 16:9 screen - my front row will be about 9 feet from the screen. based on my measurements I will have about 20" left on each side. since i am using an existing room my gear will be in the same spot you are talking about on one side of the screen then i will build shelving on the other for my movies - the 20" will give me just enough room to house the equip - i am planning on using fabric panels around the screen to have a clean look and will integrate fabric panels on hinges for my doors to access the gear and movies that will be behind it - the remotes are still in sight of the gear so i would not need an ir transmitters -

do a search for minimalistic screen wall and you will see similar examples of this -
I was thinking of putting my equipment behind the screen... by my measurements i will have about a foot on each side, and with a small removable panel (just a section of the larger panel), I should be able to pop in a dvd/bluray no problem. Other than that, I doubt I would be needing access to the actual equipment. Were you also thinking of putting the equipment behind the false wall with the speakers?

·
Registered
384 Posts
that would work but maybe but the rack on sliders so you can pull it towards the wall so you have access to the cables in the back and can slide them in and out easily -

·
Registered
401 Posts
Remember the equipment generates heat and noise, I ran dedicated vent and return behind the wall to deal with it and plan to simply keep the fan in auto on the air handler. Mines will be in the small space under the screen, with a hinged sound panel as the door to absorb fan noise from components. I couldn't create a eq room and keep the wife happy about getting a workout and play room in the basement.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You'll want to keep any lights on your equip pointed away from the screen. Idiotically obvious I know, but hey, even monkeys fall out of trees once in a while, so it never hurts to mention stuff like that :D

Reactions: Christopher_C

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Do you plan on also having subs behind the false wall and AT screen?
I'm assuming you mean a 125" diagonal scope screen right?

I'm in a similar situation as I'm just about to switch over from a 105" wide 16:9 screen to a 115"wide 2.35:1 screen.
I also built a front stage and false wall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you plan on also having subs behind the false wall and AT screen?
I'm assuming you mean a 125" diagonal scope screen right?

I'm in a similar situation as I'm just about to switch over from a 105" wide 16:9 screen to a 115"wide 2.35:1 screen.
I also built a front stage and false wall.
Yes I mean 125" diagonally... subs going behind the wall too. going to a thin stage filled with sand to put it on. I figure putting the components behind the stage maximizes space and overcomes wiring issues.

I only have a few components, so I doubt heat or noise will be an issue.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
If it's 2:35 scope screen, how about underneath the screen? You can make DIY compartments and cover with fabric panels on hinges and those push to open door mechanisms.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Personally knowing that your room is only that wide I would personally try to not put the components upfront. My reasoning is because as most know the stuff you first put into your theater doesn't always stay in your theater, usually at some point we all think about upgrading equipment. So if you have the equipment upfront you could end up limiting your options, you don't know if you'll have bigger speakers or subs at some point.

My front wall is 14' wide and I have my LCR's and two stacks of subs up front and a pro audio amp that powers the subs. Just having that single amp up front is a bit of a pain in the A$$ and gets in the way, and my wall is 2'6" wider then your wall. Is there anywhere else you can put it? Or maybe outside of the room?

Are you building or buying a screen?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally knowing that your room is only that wide I would personally try to not put the components upfront. My reasoning is because as most know the stuff you first put into your theater doesn't always stay in your theater, usually at some point we all think about upgrading equipment. So if you have the equipment upfront you could end up limiting your options, you don't know if you'll have bigger speakers or subs at some point.

My front wall is 14' wide and I have my LCR's and two stacks of subs up front and a pro audio amp that powers the subs. Just having that single amp up front is a bit of a pain in the A$$ and gets in the way, and my wall is 2'6" wider then your wall. Is there anywhere else you can put it? Or maybe outside of the room?

Are you building or buying a screen?
What size is your screen?

I could put all the components in another room, but this makes it equally as annoying to change/put in a disc, which is really the only time I would be physically touching the equipment. I should have about a foot at the side, which would be enough for a hatch/hinge area to access the ps4 etc. If I really need to get back there, I would have to remove the screen. Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just did a mock up and I think I am going to build the stage 1' high and 3.5' deep. The front 18 inches will be hollow and house the components. the back 2 ' will be filled with sand and hold the speakers. However, I am concerned about the components over heating locked in a box like that though... suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I have a Falcon screen, highly recommend them. Send a pm to snickers1 (Rich) he's the man behind Falcon. I had large screen samples from Elunevision, and a XD and EN4K screen samples from Seymour AV. The EN4K has so visible screen weave because its a solid screen material but it was the most expensive and had the dimmest picture. The XD material had the brightest picture but also had the most visible screen weave, I could easily see the weave from 10ft away and for me that would drive me crazy after a while. The Falcon screen was a great compromise between the EN4K and the XD screen material and was a couple hundred dollars cheaper then either of those too. The screen is basically the same brightness as the XD, maybe 5% less but hardly something you'd even notice. But the big advantage over the XD material is that I had to be about 4-5ft away from the screen before I could notice any screen weave.

I sit 11ft away from a fairly large screen so that was a big plus not being able to see the screen weave. Rich is an awesome guy to deal with.
http://www.falconscreens.com/

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
Just did a mock up and I think I am going to build the stage 1' high and 3.5' deep. The front 18 inches will be hollow and house the components. the back 2 ' will be filled with sand and hold the speakers. However, I am concerned about the components over heating locked in a box like that though... suggestions?

Thanks!

I just measured my front stage, and it's 48" deep and the front bottom step comes out about 53" from the front wall.

And it took 2500lbs of sand to fill up my stage, that was a full pallet of 50lb bags. You aren't officially part of the home theater club until you've packed 2500+lbs of sand down into your theater!...lol

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts