AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to know the advantages and disadvantages of the following connection options on a th-42pwd5uz panasonic plasma. This set-up will include a DVD player, a receiver (with or without component switching capability) connected to home theater audio, detachable panasonic side speakers and a TW 3100HD box. Assume 33% SD tv , 33% HD tv, and 33% DVD.

Option 1:

3100HD connected via components directly to display.

DVD player connected to receiver (no component switching) connected via S-video to display.

Option 2:

DVD player connected to receiver (with component switching) connected via S-video to display.

Option 3:

3100HD and dvd player connected to receiver (with component switching capability) connected via components directly to display.

Option 4:

DVD player connected to receiver connected via switch box to display.

I am interested in simplicity for wife, maximizing feature options (e.g. aspect, etc.) and minimizing remote controls. Any suggestions or other options would be much appreciated before I finalize my set-up.

-- Aloha

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Well a definate way to reduce remote-age is to have all of your video feeds go into the receiver, and switch that way. Then the only thig that should need to be used for the monitor is the power button - most of the time....

I like to think of the monitor as a computer monitor...all you should need to do most of the time is turn it on....

Of course, this depends on your receivers ability to switch the video signal, etc...

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Option 3:

3100HD and dvd player connected to receiver (with component switching capability) connected via components directly to display
It would seem that option 3 would be the best way to go. I'm not positive, but I think you can set the Panny to default to the component inputs when powered on. This will give you the best quality to both plus leave the s-video (or composite) open for a VCR if you should need it. Keep in mind though that the inputs must be switched on the Panny itself when you change sources from s-video to component, so #3 would make that a little simpler too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
panny defaults to whatever input you last used when powered up - so if you never move from components, all will be well. Option 3 definitely minimizes instruction time for your significant other.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Option 3 also results in the best picture. There is a significant (i.e. truly visible, even to a non-tweak) difference in DVD picture quality via component input vs. S-video.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Consensus appears to be Option 3. Any recommendations on a receiver that will do the job without breaking the plasma blood bank? By the way, you guys are goooooood!

-- Aloha

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Since you are switching HD (from your cable box), make sure your receiver has the abillity to throughput at least 50 mhz in its component switching capability.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Check the Onkyo line. The 700 model will serve you well for about $700.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.